Yukon parking brake wire

Daniel B. Martin

Reaction score
When the parking brake is applied the dashboard warning light does not come on. I removed the plastic kick panel to reveal the foot-operated mechanism. Found a wire, dangling. It is connected to a copper-colored metal clip. To help visualize the wire and clip I put white paper behind them.

When a test lead is used to ground this clip, the warning light comes on. It seems that normal function can be restored by snapping the clip back into its proper place... but where?

Please advise. A photo would be useful.

2004 GMC Yukon SL
VIN 1GKFK16Z54J122888
5.3L V8 engine
4-speed automatic transmission
Silver
Bone stock (no mods whatsoever)

zora

Staff member
Reaction score
Did you try Google, ' 2004 Yukon parking brake switch ' to see what it looks like ?

Solution

Daniel B. Martin

Reaction score
Thank you for that useful advice. It led to a successful repair.

I often use Google and YouTube for automotive advice. In this case I had been searching for "parking brake light doesn't turn on" and getting no hits. Prompted by your suggestion I expanded the search to "parking brake light". This turned up a hit on "parking brake light won't turn off". Same problem, actually -- a failed switch.

Under-dash work is always challenging, calling for for manual dexterity and physical flexibility.

Some readers may wonder why an owner should care about that dashboard light. Perhaps they never use the parking brake so the warning light is a Don't Care. The importance of that light comes into focus when you replace the Tire Pressure Monitor Sensors. Those new sensors are expensive and will not operate until being programmed, and that requires getting the vehicle's electronics into Learning Mode. The first step in that process is to apply the parking brake. If the light won't turn on, you cannot proceed with programming.

zora

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the update. I figured if you saw the switch reattaching the wire would be easy.