what are the two purple wires on my 05 Chevy Colorado stereo?

Andrew

Reaction score
they are two purple wires that go in to the stock stereo wiring harness. they are located next to the orange wire.

Ben M

Reaction score
I am assuming that is the "lan serial network" wire....i am not understanding the reasoning that Chevrolet has used on their wiring.

2005 Chevrolet Colorado Car Stereo Wiring Diagram

Car Radio Battery Constant 12v+ Wire: Orange
Car Radio Accessory Switched 12v+ Wire: The radio harness does not provide a switched power source. The accessory turn-on is controlled by the lan serial network. Run a wire to the fuse box or ignition switch harness.
Car Radio Ground Wire: Black/White
Car Radio Illumination Wire: N/A
Car Stereo Dimmer Wire: N/A
Car Stereo Antenna Trigger Wire: N/A
Car Stereo Amp Trigger Wire: N/A
Car Stereo Amplifier Location: N/A
Car Audio Front Speakers Size: N/A
Car Audio Front Speakers Location: N/A
Left Front Speaker Positive Wire (+): Tan
Left Front Speaker Negative Wire (-): Gray
Right Front Speaker Positive Wire (+): Light Green
Right Front Speaker Negative Wire (-): Dark Green
Car Audio Rear Speakers Size: N/A
Car Audio Rear Speakers Location: N/A
Left Rear Speaker Positive Wire (+): Brown
Left Rear Speaker Negative Wire (-): Yellow
Right Rear Speaker Positive Wire (+): Dark Blue
Right Rear Speaker Negative Wire (-): Light Blue

http://www.scosche.com/products/productID/538

Heathkirk1

Reaction score
I have like 6 unknowns, blue is remote, red and yellow wired together for power, black w/white stripe ground, gray-/+ front speaker, tan -/+ front speaker, no rear but there are wires, one set purple, one set green , then theres 4 wires that are tied together, blue and yellow /white stripe and faded purple or pink with a light green..

After market stereo, I went through looking for more split wires as I've been having issues with something not shutting off, melted the inside of my tail lights mostly driver side, which apparently I need 5 bulbs back there too, I knew of 2 the plate lights..

After retaping the stereo wiring, didnt need to do the +/- wires I just added more.. I noticed how the connection to the main harness looked gummie and melting the tape off, just like the heater core wires, I found 4 green wires together that when to the seat sensors I think, I still dont know what the deal is on the seatbelt rollers.. idk if its gotta do with the door button being gone each side..

Anyway, everything else seemed to look ok plugged the deck in, connected the battery taillights and deck lights come on and never shut off, but nothing else, no dash or motor or head lights

Heathkirk1@gmail.com

zora

Staff member
Reaction score
Did you check for blown fuses?
Did you check for blown fusible links?
I assume this is a 2005 Colorado?

Heathkirk1

Reaction score
Did you check for blown fuses?
Did you check for blown fusible links?
I assume this is a 2005 Colorado?
Yes all fuses solid, and other then some softened gummie spots under the dash wiring they are fine.. some questionable spots right above and across brake and gas peddles looks tighter then it should..

And just cuz heater system works and ac, doesnt mean the system is faulty, theres a faint side noise like a smaller fan or something while the main fan is on. As if the system doesnt shut off or switch programs..

Or it could just be an after affect to the main issue that constant power flow coming from somewhere to here and there..

The stereo would explain the taillights. But no power to the rest of the vehicle now

Heathkirk1

Reaction score
I am assuming that is the "lan serial network" wire....i am not understanding the reasoning that Chevrolet has used on their wiring.

2005 Chevrolet Colorado Car Stereo Wiring Diagram

Car Radio Battery Constant 12v+ Wire: Orange
Car Radio Accessory Switched 12v+ Wire: The radio harness does not provide a switched power source. The accessory turn-on is controlled by the lan serial network. Run a wire to the fuse box or ignition switch harness.
Car Radio Ground Wire: Black/White
Car Radio Illumination Wire: N/A
Car Stereo Dimmer Wire: N/A
Car Stereo Antenna Trigger Wire: N/A
Car Stereo Amp Trigger Wire: N/A
Car Stereo Amplifier Location: N/A
Car Audio Front Speakers Size: N/A
Car Audio Front Speakers Location: N/A
Left Front Speaker Positive Wire (+): Tan
Left Front Speaker Negative Wire (-): Gray
Right Front Speaker Positive Wire (+): Light Green
Right Front Speaker Negative Wire (-): Dark Green
Car Audio Rear Speakers Size: N/A
Car Audio Rear Speakers Location: N/A
Left Rear Speaker Positive Wire (+): Brown
Left Rear Speaker Negative Wire (-): Yellow
Right Rear Speaker Positive Wire (+): Dark Blue
Right Rear Speaker Negative Wire (-): Light Blue

What is done with the other non speaker wires, as the last owner apparently wired a few together, which I believe to be the cause to my constant power to the rear tail lights , and across to the passenger side... .. and leaving it as is and just taping it better.. left me with nothing up front. Only tail lights and over head bed light...

One set goes to the dimmer for the brake lights, idk which cuz I cant find a diagram that explains more then just power and speaker wires. And what to do with the ones that dont.. cuz idk if they suppose to be wired together

Last edited:

zora

Staff member
Reaction score
Did everything work before you tried to install the radio?

Heathkirk1

Reaction score
Did everything work before you tried to install the radio?
I didnt install it, it came as is... all I did was replace new tape so the wires was sealed better.. saw whomever did it wired together the ones that didnt into the deck..

One has something to do with the brake light switch for dimmer.. idk which, but I'm sure one of the wires was wrong and a 12v constant.. explains why the taillights showed the first signs..

zora

Staff member
Reaction score
You need a wiring diagram for the radio you are working with. If you didnt have these issues before trying to retape everything you miswired something.

Heathkirk1

Reaction score
You need a wiring diagram for the radio you are working with. If you didnt have these issues before trying to retape everything you miswired something.
That's just it, I know better.. but kept everything how it was, retaped, shouldn't have been any issues 3 mechanics clarified so.. psh... I know the acc red, the 12v yellow, and ground black/white... blue is remote truck doesnt have that or a 12v constant allegedly, the deck red and yellow wires run into the trucks orange power wire used for original system..

The purple wires is the ian system which tells the system what to do and when, like dim or shit off...

After learning that the rear brake lights dim switch runs through the stereo wires, I cut the 6 that was wired in pairs .. and the speaker wires too to make sure it is properly done right...

Leaving the power and ground and still the same result when battery connects. Of course I didnt plug the deck in either that time.. ...