Water leaking driver side

Seabee68

Reaction score
Hello,
New here on this Forum.
Just purchased a 2003 Chevy Avalanche, and drove through some rain here in AZ.
Yesterday found the floorboard of the driver side soaked with water.
Tried to dry it out as much as possible but with temps dropping in the low to mid 20's will take a bit of time.
Question is, has anyone had same experience. I have been reading in various sites as to where water is coming from, and all sound pretty good, but thought this forum would ave more or better suggestions?
I suppose first thing first, is to dry the carpet and met under it.
The channel along the wiring harness was full of water, does not look good, but dried it as much as I could yesterday.
I will try again today in singling out the possibility of where it might be coming from.
Any help or suggestions?

Thank you.
Fabio

zora

Staff member
Reaction score
use a water hose and limit the flow to one area at a time, such as only the area of the wipers, or only from the wheel well. Get underneath to see if there is an obvious hole such a missing or dislodged grommet.
You may also want to check out this site, unfortunately they seem to have a whole section devoted to water leaks
http://chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php?board=151.0

Seabee68

Reaction score
Thank you for the info.
Going to look further into other areas.
I think i might have found it, but not exactly sure yet as i'm still drying out the carpet and pad.
I pulled all the carpet, looked at the cable grommet for the cable and that looks OK, but i'm going to clean it out real good, put some light lubricant sort of seal it up.
But, one of the finds as i was taking panels apart, was on the side panel by hood release.
Reaching and looking at the panel hole i noticed that inside there is some sort of Styrofoam that is wet.
Further looking at that i noticed on the opposite side there is a wire loom that comes in from the door.
Well the rubber boot was not inserted into a plastic spring assisted bushing about 2-1/2" OD, that protects the wire loom, and appears that, that could very well be.
The rubber boot has a flange that needs to be pulled on top of the plastic ring, and then insert the entire unit back where it belongs.
I used a lubricant type like Vaseline to sort rejuvenate the rubber, and once that was done I put some more lubricant on the metal portion where the grommet and plastic unit inserted into the side front pillar.

Well, more info for the forum to chew on.
I sure do hope that will fix the problem, as i really do not want to do everything everyone is suggesting.

Tomorrow, when it warms up i'll pour a bucket of water near that vicinity and on the windshield.

Note: I also pull all the rubber seals and trims around the door, cleaned all the rubber parts and slightly lubricate it all of the seals and re-installed them.

zora

Staff member
Reaction score
as you are finding out water leaks and electrical issues can be the most challenging repairs

Seabee68

Reaction score
Thanks for the info.
I have not yet tested the windshield with a water hose, since her in high AZ is very cold, in the 20's in early mornings and mid 40's to low 60's.
Wanted to make sure that the entire floor board was completely bone dry before i began spot checking.
Will try in next couple of days.

The more i cleaned and removed any debris, the better i got to know the Avalanche. I purchased it used and did not know to much about the AVY's.
After the find and resealing of the right front pillar wire loom rubber boot, i'm almost certain that it is the problem. It makes sense since its by the front tire, water drains down to that area, and inside the pillar's cavity, i could see all the way through to where the loom comes in.

I have a question however, regarding a sealing method.
Has anyone used that spray sealant that is advertised on TV, showing gutter drain sealant??
Reason i'm asking, is because i also noticed that on the floorboard where the E-brake cables goes through there is a rubber grommet with a hole for the cable to go through and considering in sealing it from underneath and on top?

Any thought anyone.

Also does any one know where all the drains are in the bed of the truck, and best way to clean them?

Thank you.

Can Do.

zora

Staff member
Reaction score
not familiar with the gutter product but typically the various types of RTV sealant are used for automotive applications. Hopefully someone else can help with the drain locations.