VTD key relearn issue

Bradleyr

Reaction score
I recently replaced my PCM in my 2008 Silverado 1500 and ran into an issue with the key relearn process. When following the instructions it seems that upon turning the key to the “on” position the security light should illuminate and stay on. This is not the case for me however as the light just blinks and turns off after a few seconds. Seeing if maybe the light just glitched or something I went ahead and went threw the 10 minute “on” position 5 second “off” position procedure and it didn’t work. Any ideas as to why this might be? The PCM was programmed to my VIN by the seller (flag ship 1) and from the reviews I read it should just be plug and play aside from the VTD process.

zora

Staff member
Reaction score
So its the problem the vehicle wont start?
Is the procedure you used the same as below?
Did you contact the seller of the PCM?

Passkey III (Transponder Ignition Key) – The Passkey III Anti-Theft System uses a transponder inside the head of the ignition key. The exciter inside the ignition lock cylinder energizes this transponder when the ignition switch is on. The transponder transmits a unique signature to the Theft Deterrent Control Module (TDCM). If the key signature transmitted is valid, the TDCM will transmit a “fuel enable” password to the PCM. If the “fuel enable” password is correct, the PCM will start the vehicle. To perform a Passkey III system relearn, make sure there is a fully charged battery in the vehicle. The battery will be used for 30 minutes without the alternator for charging. Connect a battery charger to the battery to ensure steady power while programming. When performing this relearn, all previously learned keys will be erased. Additional keys may be relearned immediately after the first key has been learned. Simply insert the additional key and turn the ignition switch ON within 10 seconds of removing the previously learned key.
Relearn procedure:
1. Insert a master key (black head) into the ignition switch.
2. Turn key to ON position without starting the engine. Security light should turn on and stay on. NOTE: Certain vehicles are equipped with a Driver Information Center (DIC) display. The DIC will display a “Start disabled due to theft” message instead of a security light.
3. Wait for 10 minutes or until the security light or DIC message turns off.
4. Turn key to OFF position for 5 seconds.
5. Turn key to ON without starting the engine. Security light or DIC message should turn on and stay on.
6. Wait for 10 minutes or until the security light or DIC message turns off.
7. Turn key to OFF for 5 seconds.
8. Turn key to ON without starting the engine. Security light or DIC message should turn on and stay on.
9. Wait for 10 minutes or until the security light or DIC message turns off.
10. Turn key to OFF. The key transponder information will be learned on the next start cycle.
11. Start the vehicle. If the vehicle starts and runs, the relearn is complete.
NOTE: If the theft deterrent relearn procedure does not work, please try the procedure again.

Bradleyr

Reaction score
So its the problem the vehicle wont start?
Is the procedure you used the same as below?
Did you contact the seller of the PCM?

Passkey III (Transponder Ignition Key) – The Passkey III Anti-Theft System uses a transponder inside the head of the ignition key. The exciter inside the ignition lock cylinder energizes this transponder when the ignition switch is on. The transponder transmits a unique signature to the Theft Deterrent Control Module (TDCM). If the key signature transmitted is valid, the TDCM will transmit a “fuel enable” password to the PCM. If the “fuel enable” password is correct, the PCM will start the vehicle. To perform a Passkey III system relearn, make sure there is a fully charged battery in the vehicle. The battery will be used for 30 minutes without the alternator for charging. Connect a battery charger to the battery to ensure steady power while programming. When performing this relearn, all previously learned keys will be erased. Additional keys may be relearned immediately after the first key has been learned. Simply insert the additional key and turn the ignition switch ON within 10 seconds of removing the previously learned key.
Relearn procedure:
1. Insert a master key (black head) into the ignition switch.
2. Turn key to ON position without starting the engine. Security light should turn on and stay on. NOTE: Certain vehicles are equipped with a Driver Information Center (DIC) display. The DIC will display a “Start disabled due to theft” message instead of a security light.
3. Wait for 10 minutes or until the security light or DIC message turns off.
4. Turn key to OFF position for 5 seconds.
5. Turn key to ON without starting the engine. Security light or DIC message should turn on and stay on.
6. Wait for 10 minutes or until the security light or DIC message turns off.
7. Turn key to OFF for 5 seconds.
8. Turn key to ON without starting the engine. Security light or DIC message should turn on and stay on.
9. Wait for 10 minutes or until the security light or DIC message turns off.
10. Turn key to OFF. The key transponder information will be learned on the next start cycle.
11. Start the vehicle. If the vehicle starts and runs, the relearn is complete.
NOTE: If the theft deterrent relearn procedure does not work, please try the procedure again.

Yes, after installing the new PCM I have not been able to get the vehicle to start. The key relearn procedure you listed is the one that I followed, but the problem I ran into is the Security light. Per the instructions there should either be a security light or an indicator on the DIC and I get neither. From what I understand the light should come on and stay on until the procedure is completed and mine just flashes for a few seconds and then turns off. I did try to do it just based off time and I it still didnt work. I have reached out to the seller and it seems like this hasn't occurred and did not have guidance on it (as of now).