Transmission

tday815

Reaction score
Hello, I have a 1972 Chevelle SS with non original engine and transmission.
When purchased the car about a year ago it had solid mounts. motor mounts installed. I decided to install a tranny mount and found out that the crossmember was modified for the tranny. I purchased a new cross member from ground up and now the crossmember mount is about an inch and a half to high. everything lines up. the tranny can not go up any higher. is there something that I can do do to make this fit properly. I could heat the the crossmember and tweek the bends. not sure because I will loose some length if I do that. any ideas?
Thank you Todd

tday815

Reaction score
I would like to add it is early 80s 350 Hydromatic tail shaft number 20180519_093148.jpg

zora

Staff member
Reaction score
Is the crossmember part number FCM-88N ?
Is your car a convertible?
Can you post a picture of the transmission pan to accurately ID the type of transmission?
Did you contact Ground Up?

tday815

Reaction score
Yes part number FCM-88N
not a convertible, it's a 2 door hard top
I will get a picture
I will contact ground up

tday815

Reaction score
20180520_170124.jpg

Here is a picture of crossmember to transmission mount, the crossmember connection to mount is to high, not sure why

tday815

Reaction score
I contacted ground up, they were no help. The guy kept saying they sell tons of these crossmembers, no one has ever complained but me. He never suggested a different style crossmember. I wasn't calling to complain, I was calling because I needed technical help!! I solved the problem myself, just like new.

tday815

Reaction score
I contacted ground up,they were no help. The person that I spoke to said that he sells tons of these crossmembers and I am the only one that ever complained. I wasn't complaining, I had a technical issue and needed help!!
He never offered a different crossmember. I figured it out myself, better than new.