Transmission comes and go's

HUNTERMAGNUM

Reaction score
I have a 2002 suburban 1500 4 wheel dr.
i was driving home and the transmission started to slip. RPM'S went up and suburban slowed down,
Pulled over and checked trans fluid. looked over full on stick good pink color and no burnt smell.
Let it sit for 20 min. and started it up. Went in gear and shifted fine. Went 3 blocks and it started slipping again. Let it sit for an hour and it went in gear.
Afraid to drive it.
Where do i start??:eek:

zora

Staff member
Reaction score
Why is it overfill, it will aerate, foam, and will cause issues, remove some fluid to start with.

HUNTERMAGNUM

Reaction score
Thanks;
I am going to install a new filter and add new transmission fluid this week.
This transmission was rebuilt appx. 5 years ago.
I don't know what type of transmission fluid they used. Will it make a difference if I use a synthetic type? I am not draining the tork convertor just removing the pan and installing a new filter and gasket.

zora

Staff member
Reaction score
You can mix the two types of fluid if you are unsure what was used

HUNTERMAGNUM

Reaction score
Well I changed the filter and added 5 quarts of transmission fluid to get to the proper level.
It will shift from 1st to second great It will shift from 2nd to 3rd great but 3rd to 4th it will rev and I have to let off to get it to shift to 4th. It will shift and maintain speed but when you give it the gas it will slip.
I have been driving it with the tow mode on and it does ok.
Is it toast?:confused:

HUNTERMAGNUM

Reaction score
Thanks ZORA;
I put the lucas transmission fix in it and after driving a while it is shifting very good. I am holding my breath and babying it so maybee it will out last me.
Thanks again.