Throwing itself into park while driving

JessSmith

Reaction score
My sister and I both have a 2021 Tahoe. Hers threw itself into park while driving down a highway at about 55 mph. When she tried to move it off the highway, she could not get it to shift into neutral. The wrecker drivers had to put dollies under the wheels to move it, and the Chevy dealership had no clue what to do to get it into a bay. They had to call another tow truck to move it into the shop. The dealership said the fuel pump went out, due to running it low on gas several times (she never wants to stop). Just curious if anyone has run into this same issue. Why on earth would you not be able to shift to neutral and move the vehicle out of a dangerous position, even after it almost flipped when it threw itself into park. It freaks me out that it could happen to myself and my kiddo. Is there a recall on this or is it a known issue by Chevy that can be fixed? Thanks!

zora

Staff member
Reaction score
You are the first to mention this. Don't see how running out of gas would cause the car to shift into Park.
The owners manual on Page 230 explains the conditions for the vehicle to be placed in neutral, ignition on, engine running, foot on brake, if she and the tow truck drivers didn't make sure those conditions were met you cant shift out of Park. In a case where you have no gas, simply hold the Start button for a minimum of 10 seconds to activate systems and place foot on brake.