Replacing stoplite switch did not fix intermittent cruise on '08 Burb.

gordr

Reaction score
All the Web searches I did said that prime cause of flaky cruise control was a stop lamp switch on the way out. So I bought a new one from the dealer, only $29 CDN, and installed it today. Stop lamps work, cruise doesn't; not at all, now. Prior to that, it would typically work normally on the first start after a week or two idle, or after X number of restarts. But never on the first or second restart. Amber lamp in the "enable" button does not light, but does on the rare occasions when the cruise works.

zora

Staff member
Reaction score
Does it work if you pull up on the brake pedal with your foot as you try to engage cruise control.

gordr

Reaction score
Does it work if you pull up on the brake pedal with your foot as you try to engage cruise control.
No, it doesn't. I tried that before changing the stoplight switch, too. Used the truck last evening. First start, no cruise. Second start, no cruise. Third start, cruise worked fine. I don't think it's the clockspring in the steering wheel, either, since moving the wheel while pressing the button won't glitch it on.

zora

Staff member
Reaction score
Could be the switch as a guess. The correct way to diagnosis would require a advanced scan tool to see what the BCM reads when you try to engage the cruise.

gordr

Reaction score
Could be the switch as a guess. The correct way to diagnosis would require a advanced scan tool to see what the BCM reads when you try to engage the cruise.
Well, I will see what my local shop wants me to pay for plugging the scan tool in. I have a code reader, and the only code it throws is for the evaporative emissions control, which canister leaks a bit.

zora

Staff member
Reaction score
Not a code reader, something like a Tech 2 diagnostic scanner.

gordr

Reaction score
Yeah. I get that. Drove it to town to today. Cruise worked right off the bat. Got to the dump, shut down, dumped my trash. Start up, cruise no workee. Hit some washboard on the way into town, cruise comes good. Went to the local auto shop, and had the owner put his Snap-On scanner on the beast. Showed codes for failure to communicate between cruise buttons and the BCM. Also other codes for failure to communicate to BCM. Got him to clear all codes (because some might be very old news). Cruise didn't work on my 12 mile road trip to the next village, and didn't work on the return trip, until I turned onto the gravel, and the rear wheels began to hop on the washboard. Then it worked all the way home, another 3 miles. I will locate the BCM, pull all harness plugs, spray with DeOxit, and see what happens.

zora

Staff member
Reaction score
Depending on location of the BCM it's not unusual to find corrosion.