Rear caliper

donnyboy

Reaction score
It's not leaking around the piston seal, but it's leaking through a small hole at the end of the piston. I haven't had one of these apart before so I don't know how these rear calipers work and why it would leak.

zora

Staff member
Reaction score
It's not leaking around the piston seal, but it's leaking through a small hole at the end of the piston. I haven't had one of these apart before so I don't know how these rear calipers work and why it would leak.
Why not just replace it?

donnyboy

Reaction score
That's what should have been done in the first place, but I'm trying to help out an old fellow who his wife stopped driving the car and I've rebuilt hundreds of calipers back in the old days but not too many rears. Anyways, it's about $150 for a caliper and I have seen these cars for sale for about $1,200 and couldn't justify spending that much on it. the owner wants to take it to the scrap yard but I just couldn't do that because the car is mint. It is pristine inside and out. It would be a shame to send a car to the crusher, but to spend $300 on it and then maybe only get $400 doesn't seem like it's worth it.

zora

Staff member
Reaction score
You posted this under Lumina with no year and titled it Rear Caliper.
I just looked at Rockauto, everything I see is rear Drum brakes.
So is the car a Lumina?
What year is the car?