Parasitic battery draw 2009 LS

Rich2009Aveo

Reaction score
Hi, my 2009 LS is showing a 100ma up to 300ma parasitic draw using a Fluke clamp-on meter on either positive or negative terminals. If the car is not driven for maybe a month, the battery then is flat dead. The draw value seems to fluctuate. Anybody have or had similar issues and ideas what/where to look? Many thanks in advance!

Rich2009Aveo

Reaction score
Hooked up a current meter (Fluke clamp-on) around the negative cable and pulled each individual fuse, one at a time. Draw remained constant. Saw two YouTube videos that suggest it might be a diode in the alternator. Any suggestions as to how to go about checking this out? Ima scratch me bald head at this point šŸ˜ž

zora

Staff member
Reaction score
Attach a voltmeter to the alternator output terminal and ground and set it for AC voltage. If you get a reading, bad diode.

Rich2009Aveo

Reaction score
Zora, thanks for your responses. Clarifications, please? Wouldn't that be meter set at DC volts? And which wire is the output wire? The pictures I have seen so far only show a 4 wire plug. Can this output be accessed up top somewhere? Thanks again!

zora

Staff member
Reaction score
Zora, thanks for your responses. Clarifications, please? Wouldn't that be meter set at DC volts? And which wire is the output wire? The pictures I have seen so far only show a 4 wire plug. Can this output be accessed up top somewhere? Thanks again!
Not DC, AC, it should not give an AC reading unless a diode has failed.
Have not seen your specific alternator you will need to look at the alternator or find a wiring diagram.