New CV Axle shifts out of transmission.

Uriken

Reaction score
Hello everyone. Its been a while since I been on here. I been dealing with an ongoing issue and figured I would see if anyone could offer some insight.
Early in the summer I started getting a tire wobble on my front drivers side 05 Aveo LS. I noticed the wobble was actually the cv axle due to seeing the brake assembly rubbing the rotor from that being attached to the strut. The bearing was bad. I changed the bearing, entire stearing knuckle, outer tie rod, stabilizer, cv axle, and replaced the rotor and pads. After test driving it and with the transmission warmed up; it would still wobble after braking. So I started to realize its partially coming out of the transmission. I checked the length of the axle and it was correct but still replaced it a 2nd time. Making sure it was locked in I put it back together and gave it a try. Still...same problem. Then I changed my motor mounts in the engine bay. Still have this issue. Im not sure if there is a way to change the lower transmission parts that the spline locks into without an entire tranny rebuild? I didnt change the passenger CV axle but wouldnt think it would allow any left to right play with the new motor mounts. My engine doesnt move at all. I was thinking maybe the strut is shifting around in the pocket yet even with them being warn I wouldnt think they would cause a literall wobble with that much spring pressure. I did try swopping the tire and rims around in case that was it but it didnt help either.
Any thoughts?
Im pretty much at a loss and all the new parts I replaced are getting damaged again from this. I checked it over 20 times and cant see any bad joints. Everything is tight including the bearing nut. I just dont know.
I hope all is well. God bless.

zora

Staff member
Reaction score
Are you saying the axle isnt locking into the transmission?
How easily does the axle pull out of the transmission?

Uriken

Reaction score
Here's what I noticed. When I was changing the axles and the motor was cold. I needed to use a small brass tipped pry bar to help disengage it from the transmission. When I put the new ones in (both times) they went in and seemed to lock. Only when I start driving and the transmission gets up to temp with my motor will it start to float out of the spline pocket in the tranny. Yesterday was a good example. I leave work and within 30 seconds and 2 turns; one left then a right, I'm on the highway and doing 70mph. I have a small vibration at 60 mph as I know I need an alignment adjustment but getting to 70 it smooth going. Almost home there was an accident and I had to stop pretty hard slowing down to a stop on the highway. Stuff like that does it and the wheel will wobble even at 20 mph something horrible. I can see the marks on the rotor from the brake caliper assembly being stationary and the axle components flopping around. The axle seems to partially come out of the transmission enough for the wheel to wobble terribly unless I take an off ramp and start making right and left hand turns to get it back in all the way. Then I'll be fine again.
I'm also wondering if its something to do with my front drivers side strut as that attached to the steering knuckle which would create a wobble. In the mornings after I get to work I sit in my car and can hear creaking sound right in front of me on the other side of the firewall. Almost like metal that has expanded from heating up and then shifting back into place from cooling down and being at rest.
This is been a real pain. All the parts are new on that front side accept for the strut and A arm. With this going on I already trashed a new rotor and pads from the heat it creates.

zora

Staff member
Reaction score
What I'm asking is, does the new one require the pry bar to pull out from the transmission?
Do you see transmission fluid leaking out of the axle seals?

Uriken

Reaction score
What I'm asking is, does the new one require the pry bar to pull out from the transmission?
Do you see transmission fluid leaking out of the axle seals?
When I worked on it I had to use. prybar to get it out. It only seems to free up on its own when the transmission is hot and the car driven.
Im starting to wonder if its the strut assembly.

zora

Staff member
Reaction score
I cannt imagine the axle is popping in and out. You would see transmission fluid leaking from the seal.

Uriken

Reaction score
I realize when things like this happen and I get frustrated I get tunnel vision and focus on one target. I'm going to swap out the strut assembly on that side. The only 2 components that hold that steering knuckle is the CV Axle and the strut. Everything is new accept for the strut and I know that strut is pretty much shot and its possibly able to float around way more in the pocket then its supposed to and giving me the wobble. Braking I noticed gets the wobble going so possibly that strut is shifting and thus making the wheel wobble.
Thanks for your feedback.

Uriken

Reaction score
Thanks to all of you that had commented. I went ahead and changed out the Strut Assemble. The car is like new. One thing I noticed though on these new assemblies,....They need slots at the lower portion of the strut to be able to adjust for camber. If you want to adjust for it you have to grind out the bolt holes to elongate them.