LS7

LonnieM

Reaction score
I came across a guy that had an Original LS7 engine he bought in the early 70's. It was in a pulling truck backed by a T400 tranny and a 3500 stall. I've restored a couple of Chevelles in the past and tried to talk him into selling them to me. They've been stored inside and the cylinders were oiled when it was "benched". Of course, it's going to need gone through and some freshening up, but it's been well-kept inside since it was removed. It ran perfect when they put it inside in the mid-80's. Ran into him the other day and he said he's willing to part with the pair (motor/tranny). Looks like I have another project I'll be starting if I make the deal. He wants $6,500 for the set (motor/tranny). Looking for a few opinions. Should I buy it or go new? Figured I would put it in another Chevelle since they are the best muscle car EVER made. :)

zora

Staff member
Reaction score
What proof has he provided that it is LS7?

LonnieM

Reaction score
What proof has he provided that it is LS7?
Original purchase receipt, numbers on block. It's the real deal. I've known him for years. It's a bad-a$$ motor. Just not sure whether I should jump on it, or go new school. I'm an old school guy and like the carburetor. I'm not going to race it or anything like that. Just like melting tires from time to time. :)

zora

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm old school also, so would go for it. Good luck.