• In the 1980s and 1990s we used AOL and Usenet. In the 2000s there were forums and message boards. In the 2010s - and until the very near future - Facebook and Instagram. Something new is coming for Chevy owners... Become an early adopter of what's next by SIGNING UP HERE. Your email address will not be sold or used in any way other than us communicating more details as we prepare for launch - and we will not communicate often.

HHR 2.2L LT Overheating issue - Please help??

advisual

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a 2.2L HHR that is giving me issues and I am at my wits end as to what to do next.

The temp after about 15 minutes of driving creeps up to over 230 -245 and eventually goes into cooling mode until I turn it off and let it cool down When I am stopped I can hear the coolant boiling in the overfill bottle.

The car runs absolutely great ac works fine but will overheat every time. I never allow it to get to the red zone because I only use it for very short trips but if allowed it would definitely go there.

So far I have replaced the water pump, radiator, thermostat and temp sending unit. I compression tested the engine to see if there was a problem and that seemed to come back fine ( see attached photo ) Cyl 1 - 4 were 170,160,170 and 165 respectively.

I also did a cooling system pressure test and it held fine at 15 lbs for 20 minutes.

I will attempt to upload the short video of the overfill tank boiling over.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-c...ew?usp=sharing

I've run out of point to check from here
BTW just started throwing 2 new codes which I think are unrelated;
P0102: Mass or Volume Air Flow Circuit Low Input
P0113: Intake Air Temperature Circuit High Input

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Attachments

• 20170904_102240.jpg
    20170904_102240.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 79

zora

Staff member
Reaction score
when the engine is running at the high temperatures of 230 to 245 is the engine fan running?
if you turn on the AC with a cold engine, does the engine fan come on?
your link does not work but seeing the tank boil over does not aide in diagnosing the problem.