HELP... dome lights wont shut off

pennyanguy

Reaction score
HELP! The dome lights on my son's 2004 suburban 1500 came on and will not shut off! Dont know what made them come on.. he says (18 year old) he did not touch anything, just started it up this morning and the dome lights came on. I have looked over the manual, played with the thumb wheel and the override switch... nothing seems to work. Its the two map lights up front, as well as the mid and rear dome lights in the back. left it for 15 minutes and they stayed on even though the manual says they should shut on thier own.

Anyone have any ideas? he cant drive around at night with all the dome lights on.

zora

Staff member
Reaction score
Map lights have a On/Off switch, are you sure it is off?
Dome lights have a 3 position switch, On, Off, On with door open.
Beyond that pull the fuse until you can have someone look at it.

pennyanguy

Reaction score
Ya, went through all the switches, dimmer... everything.. nothing seems to shut them... even the front map lights were on and they have their own switches... amazing thing is I pulled just about every fuse and they stayed on... must be powered from two seperate circuits?

I'm the someone who's gonna look at it, kid barely affords gas money.

It looks to me from the schematics everything runs through the "inadvertant relay " in the Body Control Module... anyone know where the body control module is?

zora

Staff member
Reaction score
You did read page 3-19 and 3-20?
Does the radio turn off when you open the drivers door?

pennyanguy

Reaction score
yes, it does, along with the headlight still turn off.

I was wondering if the dome lights were part of the radio "control" for christmas we gave him a new radio with the AXXESS Gm Class 2 with Rap Acc and Chime Retention module... it has worked fine... not sure if that has anything to do with dome lights? And yes, I have read the manual about 5 times, nothing it says to do in it works.

zora

Staff member
Reaction score
When was that installed with regard to the problem showing up.

pennyanguy

Reaction score
installed just after christmas... befor Jan 15th... been running fine since then