Fuel pump or pickup?

pennyanguy

Reaction score
some advice please... 2004 suburban 1500, only about 120K miles. Wont start when the fuel goes below 1/4 tank...so far has happened only 4 times, but still need to figure out why...today, hoping for some ideas before I go through the fun of dropping the tank. when this happens, fuel pump runs seems to prime up and stop, but sounds a little funny. a few gallons of gas and she will start right up. I can be pretty sure there is actually about 1/4 tank because when I take the truck to fill it after this happens it only takes about 20 gallons... its supposed to be a 31 gallon tank
Fuel pump was replaced by a shop about 4-5 years ago.
From the video I have seen, looks like the lower section of the pump assembly is encased in a plastic sleeve. Anyone have any ideas whats is happening. I have not seen one of these fuel pumps assemblies myself ... is there a pickup tube that runs down off of it or is the pump at the lowest portion of the tank?

zora

Staff member
Reaction score
Do you have a check engine light on?
When it wont start, remove the gas cap and try it.

G

G-123471

i found out the hard way my 02 burb would not start when the gas gauge dropped between 1/2 and 1/4 tank, according to other owners, its a common problem, now i keep it above 1/2 tank and dont have the problem, something about the location of the pickup tube.

G

G-2258

Sounds like the gas sending unit malfunctions. It mounts right on the outside body of the fuel pump.