Front tire wear

anarchocapital

Reaction score
We bought a 2010 HHR a couple years ago. It has been reliable, uses some coolant and has issues typical of of a 10 plus year old car with now over 200k miles on it. The issue which bugs me is the speed with with it wears the tread on the front tires. When we bought it the front tires were close to needing replacement so we replaced them. The steering was great so I didn't request alignment and those tires lasted roughly one month. The alignment turned out to be off but I have never seen that much alignment issue destroy a set of tires in 30 days. I mean my wife had a flat at a gas station after tire failure and had to limp on the spare to the nearest tire shop to get two new front tires. Since then I replaced all the shocks and we are doing the alignment more frequently and the tires are lasting longer. Not long enough though. I have a 4x4 truck which gets loads more miles and alignment checked rarely and the tires last several years. I again am at the point where the tires need to be replaced. Was wondering if someone knows of an issue with these cars which causes this? Other than this I have been relatively happy with the car.

zora

Staff member
Reaction score
The tire shops who have actually seen the tires have not made any comments as to cause especially after 30 days?
Without seeing the wear pattern it is hard to advise you.
Are you correctly inflating them to the pressure listed on the drivers side door post when completely cold?
What manufacturer and model tire are you buying?

anarchocapital

Reaction score
The tire shops who have actually seen the tires have not made any comments as to cause especially after 30 days?
Without seeing the wear pattern it is hard to advise you.
Are you correctly inflating them to the pressure listed on the drivers side door post when completely cold?
What manufacturer and model tire are you buying?

zora

Staff member
Reaction score
You copied my comments but didn't answer any of the questions.

anarchocapital

Reaction score
The only comment made by the shops has been that the car requires very frequent alignment. Will get the current tire model when the car returns and try to get a pic of current wear. I am more cost conscious than interested in the tire manufacturer or style so the tires brand has likely changed. When the first set failed after 30 days I stopped using that brand. The tire pressure is checked weekly, I look for 30-32 psi. Thanks for the reply.

zora

Staff member
Reaction score
The only comment made by the shops has been that the car requires very frequent alignment. Will get the current tire model when the car returns and try to get a pic of current wear. I am more cost conscious than interested in the tire manufacturer or style so the tires brand has likely changed. When the first set failed after 30 days I stopped using that brand. The tire pressure is checked weekly, I look for 30-32 psi. Thanks for the reply.
What was the reason they failed after 30 days and why weren't they replaced at no charge?
What does the label on the door post say is the correct pressure?

anarchocapital

Reaction score
What was the reason they failed after 30 days and why weren't they replaced at no charge?
What does the label on the door post say is the correct pressure?
Will confirm pressure in door when my wife returns. When my wife had the tires replaced it was at a different place when she was on a trip and the shop that did it kept the old tires. I went to the shop that installed the failed tires and they said I had to have the failed tires to get warranty reimbursement. The shop that installed the failed tires said the alignment was the issue. They had not checked the alignment when they installed the first set but did check it when I was asking for warranty. There was some uneven wear starting but the strip between the sidewall and the tread is what failed on both front tires. I have never seen a tire fail in that way. The inner strips came loose on both front tires exposing the wire. One of the tires was nearly flat when my wife stopped at a gas station.

zora

Staff member
Reaction score
Can't tell you what is going on with information provided.
Tires in one month dont do that especially two of them.
Extremely low pressure or were they really new tires not recaps.
You have no idea who the manufacturer was, nothing on bill of sale?

anarchocapital

Reaction score
Can't tell you what is going on with information provided.
Tires in one month dont do that especially two of them.
Extremely low pressure or were they really new tires not recaps.
You have no idea who the manufacturer was, nothing on bill of sale?
Pictures of the latest set of front. The rear tires were installed at the same time but are wearing normally. The car pressure rec in door is 35psi. My son maintains and he said he has been keeping them at 35. I am having trouble getting the pictures attached to the message. They won't drag/drop and the insert image wants a web url so is not taking the pictures i put on the computer. Will try again later, have to get to work.