Cracked in Flex Pipe

RJ452010

Reaction score
I am I need of some advice. I own a 2010 Traverse LS; 32500 miles (purchased new)

I took my car in b/c I had multiple DTC's (P0301, P0050, P0060) for 2 weeks and a repeated knocking on the driver side wheel when driving for the past 18 months.

Why 18 months dealer was unable to find the cause of the knocking. Turns out they needed to replace the Rack and Pinion (Covered by GM warranty) also this are a known issue with the line b/c GM extended the warranty to 120K.

As for the DTC's I ended paying $600 for diagnostics of O2's, Plugs and Coils. All of which came back negative. Which meant Dealer had to perform multiple Engine, Radiator flush, fuel injectors and throttle body cleaning, all of which apparently resolved the issue?

This is where I need advice. After taking the car home I notice 2 things;

1 - My car sounded like a motor boat
2- My RPM shift point went up 500 rpms.

Took the car back, dealer stated I have a cracked flex pipe. They wanted $600 for part pulse another $400 for labor. Dealer would only replace flex pipe. Upon hearing the replacement cost I called B.S.

My theory is somehow the faulty rack and pinion caused the damage to the flex pipe or while dealer was working on the car the pipe got damaged.

How should I handle this?

zora

Staff member
Reaction score
Unless you can prove you suspicions start looking for estimates on the repair elsewhere at a local shop.

zora

Staff member
Reaction score
looked at the exhaust system at www.gmpartsdirect.com and dont see anything that is a stand alone flex pipe. I see two cats going to an intermediate pipe. You will have to determine what condition the part is in and whether it is available independently.

RJ452010

Reaction score
So i went to meineke and they welded on an after market flex pipe for $230 which comes with a 1 year warranty.
Dealer call an offered a discount on flex pipe it was basically 1/2 off. They also stated that they would clamp on the new flex pipe because a welded joint would fail.
they would also warranty the new flex pipe for 1 year or 12K miles.

Which is better clamps or welding?

zora

Staff member
Reaction score
welding will provide a better seal and the warrantee is the same, so I would go with Meineke for that reason and the dealer tried initially to gouge you.

RJ452010

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice guys. I just wanted a durable solution.

So the flex pipe is fixed but I still have a check engin light. Error code is P0050 and P0060.

Everything I read and even the Meineke tech said the above codes deal with leaks in the exhaust. Meineke tell h said it should go.

any thoughts?

RJ452010

Reaction score
So guys after 155 miles check engine code P0060 appeared again.
planning to take it back to Chevy on Monday.