Chevy sonic 2012 low rpm acceleration noise

DanielKh

Reaction score
Hello, I own a 2012 chevy sonic and it’s running smooth and everything except for this annoying sound I recently discovered (been hearing it for over 2 months now). It only happens when I’m on low RPM and it can be heard more clearly when I switch to reverse and press the gas pedal. I’m not sure if this is related to the belt or the fan or is it something completely different than that..it doesn’t really seem to be coming from the engine though. I attached a link to the video at the end of this text which I took today while parking in the garage to clarify what exactly I’m talking about. I searched all over google and youtube but couldn’t find anything similar or maybe I wasn’t able to clearly describe the sound.
any help is highly appreciated, thank you in advance. Sonic 2012 sound

zora

Staff member
Reaction score
I cannt tell anything from that video. You have to determine where the source of the noise is, the front of the car or the rear of the car.
With the hood open and your foot on the brake with the vehicle in reverse and applying a slight amount of gas pedal, can you see if there is a significant amount of movement of the engine indicating a broken motor mount?
If it's only in reverse it's not the accessory drive belt.
Did you ever resolve your problem with the oil pressure light?