Camshaft sensor broke off into housing when removing

Jrf0195

Reaction score
When trying to replace the camshaft sensor enough of the plastic broke off and fell back into the housing. How can I recover the broken off plastic piece?

Jrf0195

Reaction score
By housing, you mean timing cover?
Yes. Just took the water pump off as I’m pretty sure I’m going to have to pull the timing cover off. If it just dropped straight down then it doesn’t look like it would’ve made it to the oil pan.

Jrf0195

Reaction score
Also, just being curious I inserted the new sensor just to see how tight fitting it would be. It snapped in and out pretty easily. Is this to be expected given how frozen the old one was?

zora

Staff member
Reaction score
Also, just being curious I inserted the new sensor just to see how tight fitting it would be. It snapped in and out pretty easily. Is this to be expected given how frozen the old one was?
The old one appears to have become brittle so it would have been difficult to remove.

zora

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes. Just took the water pump off as I’m pretty sure I’m going to have to pull the timing cover off. If it just dropped straight down then it doesn’t look like it would’ve made it to the oil pan.
Unfortunately, yes the cover has to come off.

Jrf0195

Reaction score
The old one appears to have become brittle so it would have been difficult to remove.
Just making sure I wasn’t missing something. The new one being SO easy to put on and take off that it made me raise an eyebrow. But I did hear a little snap as the o-ring came on and off so I took that to mean it was forming a good seal.