brake lights won't turn off

scottd441

Reaction score
1999 Suburban. A month ago, the brake lights remained on. Only way to get them to turn off was by disconnecting the battery. Went on You-Tube and appeared that my problem was a faulty brake light switch. Replaced the switch and the problem seemed to be resolved.

A week or so later, the Shift Lock Solenoid went out so I could not shift out of park. Again, found a You tube video. Was able to disconnect a clip to that solenoid so I could shift into gear and drive home. I have not replaced that part.

A couple of weeks later, the same problem started up with the brake lights stuck on. Thought perhaps the switch I bought was a dud so I went back to Autozone and got a free replacement. Put that in but the brake lights remain on unless I disconnect the battery.

Very frustrating. Any ideas of what to check next? Any advice would be appreciated. Is that fact that the shift lock solenoid is disconnected possibly causing the brake lights to remain on? I would not think so, but I am not an electrician.

thanks for reading and for any advice you may have.

Scott

zora

Staff member
Reaction score
Are the brake lights on when you disconnect the wires connected to the switch?
Did you check if the switch has to be adjusted after installation?

Last edited:
G

G-686050

When I disconnected the first new switch I installed after it appeared to stop working, the lights did stay on. I don't see how the switch could be adjusted. None of the videos online mention any way or need to adjust ???

scottd441

Reaction score
The first new replacement switch, when disconnected, the lights did remain on. I did not disconnect the second new switch I just installed tonight. No instructions about adjusting the switch after install. I don't see how it could be adjusted. I thought I would try a new shift interlock solenoid as well and see if that helps. When I use my VIN at all the parts stores, there is no part for replacement. Very frustrating all the way around.

zora

Staff member
Reaction score
The first new replacement switch, when disconnected, the lights did remain on. I did not disconnect the second new switch I just installed tonight. No instructions about adjusting the switch after install. I don't see how it could be adjusted. I thought I would try a new shift interlock solenoid as well and see if that helps. When I use my VIN at all the parts stores, there is no part for replacement. Very frustrating all the way around.
A number of sites refer to a lever on the switch.