Blind Spot Monitor Randomly Stays On

MikeN

Reaction score
I have a 2020 Premier. Blind Spot Monitor randomly stays on. There are no diagnostic codes. Sensor area is clean. Dealer cannot service without a code. Anyone have this problem? Was researching and discovered a discussion regarding the Bolt and winter tires being slightly wider causing this problem. Does that make any sense>

zora

Staff member
Reaction score
Are you saying you do not have the original tires on?
If so what size did you install?
Did the dealer check for technical service bulletins?
There have been bulletins for earlier models where the solution was reprogramming.

MikeN

Reaction score
I put on rims and tires as recommended by GM for this car. Guess what. Removed the snows last week and the problem disappeared. Service guy thinks it is the lug nuts on the steel rims setting off the sensors. The original wheels have lug nuts inset into the rim. GM tech at head office refused to further work on this because there were no diagnostic codes. They will be getting a call back now. Not sure what my options are.

MikeN

Reaction score
Dealer recommended. So you think they are not the right rims? Snows on GM OEM rims? Or did I buy a car that should not be driven in snow. LMAO.

MikeN

Reaction score
Pretty crappy that something like a Blind Spot System cannot handle what everyone in Canada puts on their cars each winter. I know the Bolt has this problem and GM recommended shielding. Also I double checked .. no tech bulletins, programming was updated when GM advised to change the controller in the mirror. Crap.

zora

Staff member
Reaction score
So what do the other customers of this dealer do if the service department recommends these wheels, not GM, and they experience the same problem.

zora

Staff member
Reaction score
Have you tried adjusting the mirrors by leaning slightly to the left or right and then adjusting the mirrors.