are the nissan leaf and/or chevy volt fast enough for you people?

i eat monkeys

Reaction score
Its not the speed that puts me off those cars, Its the fact that they are around 40k In the Uk where i am from. And the Leaf only gets 100 miles fully charged??? Seriously for that money... just a waste. Youre better off getting a new diesel engine, 60 mpg For 20k ish.

Richard Ramirez

Reaction score
what do you mean "you people"? first, the Volt is NOT fully electric(you didn't say so, but you suggested this considering your pairing it with the leaf), and no, they're not nearly fast enough. the Leaf does 0-60 in 13 seconds, this is ridiculous. it might be fine in the city, but good luck trying to merge onto a major highway with this kind of acceleration. and what about the charge time? what if i feel like taking a road trip?

Jakolveteran Rank

Reaction score
NO.. those are just for "FAST mouths" meaning a guy will brag "my car is fast".. but the car runs fast in straits but HELLA-SLOW IN CORNERS

ScottR

Reaction score
My wife and I test-drove the following cars, and ultimately ended up purchasing the Volt:

Acura TSX (both V6 and V4)
Acura TL
Nissan Maxima
Volkswagon CC
Volvo S60

We both felt that the Volt was the most fun to drive out of the group, and its pickup was a close contender for the Volvo S60. The Mrs. previously drove a Saab 9-3 SE, and though the Saab was quicker than the Volt, we both agree that the Volt is more than satisfactory.

When planning to buy a new car, we didn't even consider and electric (or hybrid) at first. Gas costs weren't a major concern. We just wanted something sporty, attractive, and with a good technology package around the $35-39K mark. With the $8000 in rebates for the Volt, it happened to satisfy all those requirements.

Would I take the Volt to a drag race? No. Can we do 140mph on a straightaway? No. But that's not really the goal of most cars in this price range.

I know the Volt is supposed to do something like a 9 second 0-60 time, but it's definitely less than that, and it will push you back in your seat when you juice it, either off the line or while merging.

As for the Leaf, that ugly pile of hippie sweat is not in the same category as the Volt. IMO the Volt is a great car that just happens to have an electric drive.

-- Scott

Check out all my Volt-related posts: http://s.co.tt/blog/blog/category/automotive-2/chevy-volt/

Last edited: