97 Chevy Tahoe weak oil pressure?

dfcoxjr

Reaction score
I have a 97' Tahoe with 105,000 miles on it. Recently I have noticed that sitting at an idle for around 15 minutes or more the oil pressure will slowly drop to the point that the "check gages" light comes on.
After the vehical has warmed up the oil pressure is fine driving down the road with a steady rpm (around 2,000). But as soon as you let off of the throtle and start to come to a stop it drops to zero.
As long as you are at a stop afterwards it stays at zero untill you get the rpm's back up to par.
There is no knocking, pinging, ticking or any other tall tale signs of zero oil pressure.
Just drove this truck on a 1,200 mile trip like this and it still purs like a kitten.
Please help!
Also, when you first crank it cold the oil pressure is maxed out at 80 for around the first min or so

99fxst99

Reaction score
I have a similar problem with my 05 5.3. Low oil pressure at idle until the engine gets thoroughly warmed up. I have been told is a sign of worn cam bearings. I have 220K miles on it, just replaced the lifters, and it runs great otherwise.

zora

Staff member
Reaction score
change the viscosity of the oil you use, if a 10w30 go to a 10w40. You can also add a bottle of STP oil treatment. More likely main bearing wear.