2017 Chevy Equinox 2.4L Electronic Steering Whine

CygnusRift

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I've been driving around a 2017 Chevy Equinox LT 2.4L and noticed that the steering whines slightly now. It's been a gradual thing that I was keeping an ear out for.

So i did some quick research and found that it had Electronic steering with a power assist motor attached to it. Didn't realize that newer electronic racks even had motors.
I also noticed that you can either buy just the rack and pinion with no motor, or it with the motor, but with the motor costs almost 800 bucks vs just 200 to 300 for the rack itself. Is there any way to narrow down if the issue is with the motor or the rack/pinion itself to replace the individual component? Can either one be replaced by itself or do they have to be replaced as a whole unit?

Also, according to the Haynes manual, it says that the catalytic converter and rear transmission mount need to be removed to ultimately take out the rack. Can the rack or power assist motor be removed without doing these? It would just make things a lot easier.

zora

Staff member
Reaction score
If you can create the noise with the vehicle in park have someone turn the wheel while you try to narrow down the source using a length of rubber hose to act as a stethoscope.
The Hanes manual gives no indication if the motor can be replaced separate from the rack?

CygnusRift

Reaction score
Alright. Will give that a try for the noise. And no, the manual doesn't seem to mention replacing the motor vs the rack, it just mentions that it exists.