2015 Tahoe wheels painiting question

AlexJul

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am new to the forum. I drive a 2015 Tahoe and I guess for 2 years of ownership I got a bit tired of its stock look. So I'm about to have my stock ally wheels painted (partially) to match the body color.

And here's the question I wanted to ask you folks. Is it okay to paint wheels in a shop with the regular paint they use to paint body? Because I heared that the wheels have to be powder coated for the finish to stay, yet one paint shop said they can do the regular paint job on my wheels.

Also one thing about powder coating. Is it possible to match the color with the body if I have wheels painted in such way?

I am kinda confused, so any recommendations on wheels painting will be of great help.
Thanks,
Alex.

AlexJul

Reaction score
And here is the pic of what I exactly want from my wheels:

Attachments

• 0125.JPG
    0125.JPG
    60.1 KB · Views: 102

zora

Staff member
Reaction score
body shops have been painting wheels for a lot longer than the existence of powder coating. The shop doing the work should know how to add the correct amount of hardener for wheel applications.
Not sure if powder coating has the same flexibility in color choice as painting but they should be able to tell you.

AlexJul

Reaction score
I see. So if you were me, you would do regular paint, not powdercoating, right?

zora

Staff member
Reaction score
I would compare the costs and the ability to match the vehicle but would probably lean to paint. If you get a scratch you can touch it up, you cannt do that with a powder coat.

AlexJul

Reaction score
Hi again, that's again the guy, who cannot decide, what to do with the wheels. Can you please tell me, whether this guy used paint or powder on his Tahoe? I assume it's paint because of gloss, right?...
If you need better pictures to determine, here is where I've taken it from - https://www.carid.com/gallery/chevy/tahoe/

PS - I want to thank you that you replied me. As I tried asking the same question on one car paint forum, and seems like it is completely dead...

Attachments

• 8785.JPG
    8785.JPG
    32.9 KB · Views: 99

zora

Staff member
Reaction score
really have no way of knowing for sure, guess would be paint but why arent you asking a body shop that does this sort of work on a regular basis?

leonald

Reaction score
I prefer using regular paint for wheels because touch up will be easy.