2011 Equinox - Issues after 90k miles?

KristaB

Reaction score
I have a 2011 Equinox that is experiencing the oil consumption/timing chain issues, but is not consuming 1 quart/1000 miles so it doesn't qualify for the recall program. I'm either going to trade it in or stick the money into it, but I'm concerned that once I have the repairs done something else will go wrong, and I'll have a money pit. The blue book value is $4700 based on condition, so I definitely don't want to stick more into it than that.

What issues can I expect as I approach 100k miles (currently at ~91k)? How much would it cost to have the timing chain/oil consumption repairs done?

zora

Staff member
Reaction score
Prices will vary whether a dealer or private shop does the repair plus labor rates vary across the country. Shop around for price quotes.
You are sure you dont have an oil leak?

KristaB

Reaction score
Prices will vary whether a dealer or private shop does the repair plus labor rates vary across the country. Shop around for price quotes.
You are sure you dont have an oil leak?
Yes, I've checked for that multiple times.

zora

Staff member
Reaction score
Do you currently have noise coming from the timing chain area?
Based on your $4,700 figure,I wouldnt put more than $1,500 into the vehicle after which trading it in would be the path to follow.
You could also try a slightly higher viscosity oil to see if that effects consumption.

G

G-175278

Do you currently have noise coming from the timing chain area?
Based on your $4,700 figure,I wouldnt put more than $1,500 into the vehicle after which trading it in would be the path to follow.
You could also try a slightly higher viscosity oil to see if that effects consumption.
Thanks for the input. Yes, I can hear rattling.