2010 2.4 Equinox BIG PROBLEMS NO SOLUTIONS

Chuck Equinox

Reaction score
Hi-My name is Traci-I named my truck "Chuck" Chuck is sick--REAL sick. Chevy Case ID number 71-1135219519
11 visits to service with NO RESOLUTION to my problem.
We replaced
a) Timing Belt
b) High Pressure Fuel Pump (TWICE)
c) Heater Core
d) AC Compressor
e) Changed the cover on the crankcase (?)
f) power wash engine
g) Carbon filter changed

GOD-I have lost count on the amount of work I have had done. Owning this truck as become my part time job.

Chevrolet Customer Service thinks its ok for me to CONTINUE to own/drive a truck that releases the smell of burning oil IN THE PASSENGER COMPARTMENT when the truck is
1.stopped at a light
2.warming up in the driveway
3.stuck in traffic
4. ANYTIME it is standing still

Oder is also OUTSIDE the truck.

They have refused to offer a Service Engineer because my truck has 70,000 miles and is NOT covered under the bumper to bumper.(this issue began over 8 months ago) (I do have an extended bumper to bumper tho) They think I should TRADE my truck for a new one (AND take a LOSS on this one)

I am at my wits end. I have no resolution. My 4 year old HATES to get in my truck because "it makes her belly hurt":confused:

Chevrolet does not think my daughters safety is important enough.
Please, Please, Please help. I am at a complete loss.
Don’t get me wrong, I have owned and driven Chevrolets MY ENTIRE LIFE! This is my 2nd Equinox. (I had a 2008 that I traded when I got this one)

Help. I can’t say it enough.
:eek:

zora

Staff member
Reaction score
Do you have an obvious oil leak on the engine or transmission? Do you see fluid on the ground after you park it over night? Do you have blue smoke coming out the exhaust pipe at idle, or while accelerating, or while coasting to a stop? At what mileage did this problem start?

Chuck Equinox

Reaction score
Sadly, there is nothing. We put dye in the oil to hopefully see a leak but it turned up nothing. There are no puddles under the truck when it sits over night. The first repair was at @ 62k. It is frustrating to not only me, but my local Chevy dealer. I think a field engineer would be a great help....a fresh set of eyes but I am being refused by Chevrolet.
Any suggestions would be a plus. Someone mentioned changing the valve covers but the dealer needs some sort of " proof" before he does anything else.

zora

Staff member
Reaction score
Did the dealer go through the service bulletins for your vehicle? There are 69 of them. Below are ones that may be related because of fluid leaks.
PI-0312A Leak from transfer case vent.
PIE-0052A THERE IS A FLUID LEAK IN THE TRANSFER CASE SEAL

There also appears to be issues related to the Direct Injection Fuel Pump which you note has been changed. Do you notice if your engine oil smells like gasoline if so you still have an issue related to the DI fuel pump which may cause an odor.

Chuck Equinox

Reaction score
No gas smelling oder. Its almost like exhaust--sometimes faint, but real strong by the end of day when I have taken it around town on several erronds plus commute to work. I also wanted to mention that it seems to me (but not the dealer) that it is buring escessive amounts of oil. Again, no leaks but I am down a full quart after about 1000K miles... I think they looked at all service bulletins but I will forward this suggestion along to them. I am going to keep trying and if you hear of anything else--especially on this forum, please let me know. I just want to LOVE this truck but the safty thing for my daughter is a HUGE ISSUE.

zora

Staff member
Reaction score
They have look for leaks in the exhaust system and for any holes in the firewall or elsewhere under the car?

Chuzz

Reaction score
Possibly a couple of defective valve seals and the oil is leaking into the exhaust?? I'm not a mechanic, but without an obvious external leak, there's got to be something causing the oil loss and smell, that's internal. Either that or they've got some very incompetent techs. A leaking valve cover dripping onto the exhaust pipe could be the problem, but should be very obvious. Why in the world would you have paid for replacements of the timing belt, heater core, two fuel pumps and an a/c compressor? None of those things are even close to related to an oil leak. You're getting taken advantage of big time just because you're a woman. If they want to keep doing things like this, you need to make them explain why they're doing them and how they could possibly be related to oil leaking/usage. Ask around and find out from friends or co-workers where they take their vehicles for servicing. It sounds to me like you've got some very INCOMPETENT people screwing you over.

Last edited:

deadshot138

Reaction score
No gas smelling oder. Its almost like exhaust--sometimes faint, but real strong by the end of day when I have taken it around town on several erronds plus commute to work. I also wanted to mention that it seems to me (but not the dealer) that it is buring escessive amounts of oil. Again, no leaks but I am down a full quart after about 1000K miles... I think they looked at all service bulletins but I will forward this suggestion along to them. I am going to keep trying and if you hear of anything else--especially on this forum, please let me know. I just want to LOVE this truck but the safty thing for my daughter is a HUGE ISSUE.
My 2011 Equinox just failed an oil consumption test. Thanks to how they wrote their warranty, I am not covered by the extended warranty. They were sued over this issue and basically won in court because they dont have to cover anyone who wasnt aware of the issue before the warranty expired. Complete joke.