2009 Silverado 3500HD C0035 code

diathyky

Reaction score
2009 Silverado 3500HD 6.6l 50,000 miles - have a C0035 fault code: left front wheel speed sensor circuit - open. Multimeter on the sensor plug also shows open circuit. Cannot see any problem with the wire leading to the sensor though have not yet removed the wheel, brakes and disc. Seems odd to me that the sensor itself should fail, since it is only a coil of wire around a permanent magnet. But the multimeter agrees with the scanner. But how would they fail? Does the coil of wire break over time?

Nothing else for it but to remove wheel, brake and disc and inspect? Or could there be a break in the wire beneath the sheathing somewhere? All looks fairly good - no obvious sign of wear or kinking. Just like to ask someone who has had experience in these things what is most likely the cause before I start taking things apart. This truck is in Australia, so RHD - not that that makes any difference.

I have a new sensor to replace the old one if necessary.

Truck is stock - no suspension modifications.

zora

Staff member
Reaction score
Your multimeter is confirming an open and if you test the new sensor you dont have an open?
So not sure why you are trying to go deeper into an analysis of a bad sensor.
Typically a shop or a DIY will just replace it.

diathyky

Reaction score
I agree it seems pretty clear what to do.

But just seems odd that a sensor which is only a permanent magnet with a coil of wire around it should fail. Wondered if that was fairly common. Due to moisture getting in or what? Just curious as to why they do not last longer, being of such simple construction.

zora

Staff member
Reaction score
I wouldn't consider 11 years a short lifespan and have never come across anyone trying to determine the cause. As you know they experience temperature extremes which maybe the cause.