2005 Silverado 1500 Brake Problem

Marion

Reaction score
I'm having a problem with the front brakes on my 2005 Silverado 1500. I noticed about a month ago that when I applied the brakes it sometimes felt like I had a warped rotor. This would come and go but with 172K miles I went ahead and replaced the brake pads and rotors 2 weeks ago. The problem still occurs occasionally. I can be driving down the highway and it starts feeling like I have a tire out of balance but as soon as I apply the brakes the truck starts shaking violently and can be difficult to control as long as the brakes are applied. A mechanic friend suggested I pull the ABS fuse to see if something was going on there but the problem persists. Today it happened again and when I exited the highway I was able to slow down going up a hill and pulled into a gas station and as I was pulling up to a pump and stopping it still felt like a warped rotor. I filled my tank and started home and the brakes feel normal.

zora

Staff member
Reaction score
You have no brake related warning lights on?
Do you have the tools to check for rotor runout?
Have you checked for excessive wheel bearing play?

Marion

Reaction score
No warning lights come on.
Had to look up what rotor runout is. I don't think I have a problem with that since I had the problem with the original rotors also but I don't have the tools to verify that. If it was rotor runout wouldn't it do it all the time? This only occurs from time to time.
I did have to replace the driver side wheel bearing hub assembly last weekend. It wasn't loose but was making a pretty loud growling noise. I haven't looked at the passenger side bearing yet but it isn't making any noise.

Last edited:

zora

Staff member
Reaction score
Check the bearing on the passenger side and recheck the other side, a new one can be bad.

Marion

Reaction score
Just pulled both front tires and spun both hubs and they sound normal. Watched the rotors closely as the were spun to see if I could see any wobble and didn't see anything. Before removing the tires I also checked them for any looseness due to wear of the control arms and there was none.

zora

Staff member
Reaction score
Do you feel the steering wheel shake when this happens or is more in the seat?

Marion

Reaction score
The whole front end of the truck starts jumping around. It's a pretty violent experience when it happens and difficult to control when applying the brakes.. So far it has only happened when I've been going at highway speeds. It feels like I'm applying the brakes really hard and letting off the brakes very quickly like the ABS would do when activated. As I slow down the pulsing slows down like it would with a warped rotor. After I stop for a minute or so it doesn't do it anymore, at least for a little while. Last weekend after I replaced the hub and bearing assembly I had to drive 150 miles to get home. It did it twice on the trip.

zora

Staff member
Reaction score
If you cannt find a brake or bearing issue start looking for something worn in steering, such as tie rods, or suspension bushings.