2005 Chevy Cobalt gives a "Reduced Engine Power" message?

amber

Reaction score
For about 5 months or so my car (on and off) has had an issue with cranking the car and it idling and surging or even cutting off completely. After trying to crank it a few times the car will start up just fine with no more issues. Today after I got it to crank and had been driving less than a mile down the road it lost engine power and wouldn't/couldn't accelerate and a message appeared-- "Reduced Engine Power".I turned it off and back on and the acceleration finally worked.I have got to fix it asap! Can anyone help me with this? (I researched and came up with "Throttle Actuator Control". But I don't know for sure?)

Petercampz13

Reaction score
My 2005 Chevy Cobalt is doing the same thing anyone know how to fix this.It shows reduced power and can't accelerate and starts to act putting like crazy.

zora

Staff member
Reaction score
Go to autozone and have them scan the computer for the code indicating what the problem is.

G

G-928725

I had same the issue with my 2009 Cobalt. It was resolved with a wire-tie and some electrical tape. This seems to affect many GM models.
Video explains the issue well. The trouble codes your scanner will give you may not be identical as it depends on which wire within the harness makes contact with the edge of the oil filter tank.

Fix video...