2002 Toyota Echo or a 2005 or 2007 Chevy Aveo?

Hilary

Reaction score
Which is a better car? Which would you choose and why? Is one year better than another? One of the Aveo's is a hatchback and one a sedan.

Any thoughts? And no, I don't know the prices yet, the website doesn't list them.
The Honda Civic, huh? Are the 2001 models any good? I wish we could get a Honda Fit...

STEWIE

Reaction score
Neither are good choices.

They are small, unsafe in crashes and very noisy. Echo is more reliable than the Aveo though.

I would look for a Honda Civic instead.

Stupid Flanders

Reaction score
Historically, the Echo is a better vehicle, overall, because the maintenance costs are lower and the reliability is much higher than the Aveo.

Make sure you get any used car inspected by your mechanic before agreeing to buy anything. It may cost you a few bucks, but it's better than buying a piece of junk for thousands of dollars.

Remember the Daewoo's they used to sell in the USA? They went out of business because they were junk and noone was buying them. Aveo's are Daewoo's with a Chevy badge. Same plant, same car. They are less expensive to fix since GM bought them, but junk is junk.

EDIT - Click on my profile and email me your zip code and your price range. I can send you some listings for vehicles that are historically known for being reliable. Of course, since a used car is only as good as the prior owner took care of it, you will want to have it checked out once you decide you want to buy it. At the very least, it can give you some ideas on cars that may be right for you.

Agent75

Reaction score
I have owned an Echo and my current 2006 Aveo. I got 5 to 6 MPG better in the Echo and both cars are automatic. I would go back to the Echo in a heartbeat if I could.