1995 chevy tahoe radio issue

jpmanetti

Reaction score
Hey everyone...I'm stumped on a radio issue with my 95 tahoe. When I turn my radio on and listen at a normal volume...no problem. When I turn the radio volume up considerably the sound shuts off. Now this also happened when I installed an aftermarket radio and it did the same thing. Power amplifier problem I think???? Is there any way to test it before I find another one? How about the power amplifier relay? And....where is THAT located? Thanks for any help you can give me. This has been driving me nuts for months now.

zora

Staff member
Reaction score
Only reference to an amp is for the rear speakers on a 6 speaker system and it doesnt work with an aftermarket radio without modification.

jpmanetti

Reaction score
I do realize that about the amp. It's really a weird problem. I re installed the factory radio...turn the volume up pretty loud and the sound shuts off. Unplug the radio and plug it back in and everything works until you raise the volume to a loud level. While radio was working, I unplugged the amp...turn the volume up again and the sound shuts off. To me, that means its the speakers. When I had the aftermarket radio in...it did the same thing...but, when I faded the radio to front speakers only and turned the volume up, nothing happened. It worked perfectly. As soon as I fade to the rear speakers....bam!....sound shuts off.

zora

Staff member
Reaction score
if you isolated the problem to the rear speakers the problem is the amp located under the drivers seat.

jpmanetti

Reaction score
Ok....but, if I disconnect the amp and I crank up the radio volume...problem should go away...correct? It doesn't! Which leads me to think it may be the speakers. But all speaker are working. They are a little distorted with or without the amp and they are all original. Just trying to give you as much detail as I can.

zora

Staff member
Reaction score
You clearly stated in post #3 if you fade to the front the problem is not there which points to an issue with the amp for the rear.

jpmanetti

Reaction score
Yes, that is what I stated. It just confused me that when I disconnected the amp...the problem still existed. Granted...its an old truck...mint condition...but old truck. I like keeping things factory...so I have the factory CD radio...found a good amp on ebay and replacing all speakers. The rear speakers in the roof...when you lightly touch the cones...the speaker shuts off. ???? LOL...I think this truck has gremlins!!! There is also a amp relay....can't find location but I can hear it clicking around lower steering column area. I didn't figure that was a cause since I do have power to the amp.