1970 Chevelle head light problem

HomesteadChevyMan

Reaction score
The high beam switch is located on the floor and when I press the high beam switch the right high beam turns on & right low beam goes off.
When i turn off the high beams the low beam goes back on but looks dim.
The left low beam turns on with the high beam and the left low beam stays on when the high beams turns off.
Why is the right low beam going off when the high beam switch turns on. Why does the low beam looks dim when it turns on when the high beam switch get turned off.

zora

Staff member
Reaction score
The high beam switch is located on the floor and when I press the high beam switch the right high beam turns on & right low beam goes off.
When i turn off the high beams the low beam goes back on but looks dim.
The left low beam turns on with the high beam and the left low beam stays on when the high beams turns off.
Why is the right low beam going off when the high beam switch turns on. Why does the low beam looks dim when it turns on when the high beam switch get turned off.
Clean all the headlight grounds

HomesteadChevyMan

Reaction score
That would explain the problem. Let us know if cleaning works.
I poped the hood and went to the low beam. I had the brights on. I located the ground wire the goes on the low beam pig tail plug and noted the wire was loose in the plug. I pushed and wiggled it and the light went on. So i ordered a new pig tail and will replace. Thank you for the advice to look for the ground

zora

Staff member
Reaction score
I poped the hood and went to the low beam. I had the brights on. I located the ground wire the goes on the low beam pig tail plug and noted the wire was loose in the plug. I pushed and wiggled it and the light went on. So i ordered a new pig tail and will replace. Thank you for the advice to look for the ground
Excellent, glad it was a simple fix

HomesteadChevyMan

Reaction score
Excellent, glad it was a simple fix
Actually as i got into it. I inspected the head light plug and noticed i may have put electrostatic greese like the stuff for spark plugs and wires. I took contact cleaner and got that stuff out of the plug and it it seems all right.
I got a very trivial question. I replaced the sending unit in the fuel tank. It works. Its the kind with a reurn line. . I use the turn line as a vent. The filler neck is not vented. So here is what i notice. When i fell the tank to "full" the gas meter on the dash reads 3/4 full. Why do you think the sending unit reads 3/4 when the tank is full?

zora

Staff member
Reaction score
Remove the gauge wire from the sender and with the key in the run position you should get a full reading