1955-1985 Sbc 350 good wrench with aluminum heads.

Jaconense777

Reaction score
Hello guys, what happened is that I put a new set of felpro performance head gaskets on my sbc 350 and I found some antifreeze in the oil again. I removed the left side and it was very tight, however the right side came off very easy, they both were tightened to 70lbs. As the block is a good wrench and the heads are the edelbrock 6073 aluminum . This time I would like to replace the pistons rings, the pistons have marked 0.030 on them, are the rings the same size 0.030? Or how do I know what to buy? Now if i tighten the heads studs on a cold engine and then repeat it on a warm engine could this prevent the heads from getting loose? I have arp studs and I don’t really know which ones I have. As they just have the arp letters Imprinted on the head. Should I replace them?
Sorry I couldn’t upload any photos or videos I also opened the same tread on Hybrid Z as my car is a S30, Your help is appreciated.

zora

Staff member
Reaction score
You are sure the number is 6073?
Dont the instructions tell you to torque in 3 increments?
Do the instructions say the final number is 70 not 65?
You are tightening the bolts in the sequence shown in the instructions?
You are using sealant on the bolt threads and lubricant on the bolt washers?
If the pistons are marked .030 oversize than the rings will also have to match.

Jaconense777

Reaction score
Yes they are 6073, I believe are the 60739 as I have a flat tapped camshaft, I don’t know much but I’ve been doing the work little by little. I have an old mechanic helping me out with my car, so I’ll double check the proper sequence as suggested. Also I have an edelbrock 2101 intake manifold, but I would like to get the best out off my set up. I have a Holley 4150 670 cfm carb, (had a 1406 carb previously, still have it though ) I was told that 2701 could be better or 7501, 7101, do you have any experience with any of these? Any suggestions?Your help will be appreciated.

zora

Staff member
Reaction score
Is the old mechanic reading the instructions for the heads because you torqued to 70 and the instructions clearly state 65 in 3 steps.
The 2701 is better than the 2101 if you have hood clearance.
The 7501 and 7101 require even more hood clearance and you need a performance cam to gain any benefits.

Jaconense777

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply, I have the COMP Cams 12-238-2 - COMP Cams Xtreme Energy and life and lifters combo, my rockets are marked at 1.6 edelbrock, I have a Accel hei performance distributor and performance cables, …

Jaconense777

Reaction score
Thanks, ok one of the reasons I am replacing the intake manifold is because one of the thread for the carburetor studs is not that good anymore. so I called edelbrock I gave them all my setups in detail and was told that This cylinder head delivers great throttle response and power from 1500 to 6500 rpm and was advised to use 7101 for my application and to gain higher RPM.
Ec Basic Operating Rpm Range1500-6500 RPM
Now My question is that if the camshaft that I have its RPM Operating Range: 1,300-5,600, can i still get the 6000’s RPMs as edelbrock rep told me?
also was advised to replace the head studs every time I replace the gaskets.