08 Malibu Blinker / Hazards Issue

Shade Tree Wannabe

Reaction score
2008 Chevy Malibu Classic / 4 cylinder / 2.2 liter

I'll try to not be too wordy....

When set to a left turn, all lights work just fine outside of the vehicle. However inside the vehicle, the arrow doesn't light up and there is no clicking. Nothing at all indicating the turn signals are blinking even though they work just fine on the outside.

When set to a right turn, all lights on the outside still work correctly. However on the inside there is still no cllicking, but the right arrow does at least light up and blink accordingly.

When the hazards are on, all lights (again) work just fine on the outside of the car, but there is no clicking on the inside and just the right arrow blinks.

I've checked the fuses that have anything to do with the lights, but all are good. But I don't want to just throw parts at this problem by assuming it's the turn signal switch or maybe the hazards switch.

Wanting to do this right and see what the right diagnosis would be that proves it's the actual switch itself, and not another fuse or maybe even a relay I overlooked.

Thanks in advance for any help I can get on this. Much appreciated.

zora

Staff member
Reaction score
You need to find a wiring diagram.
I dont think it's the switch since everything works on the outside.
The light for the arrow on the left side might be burnt out.

Shade Tree Wannabe

Reaction score
You need to find a wiring diagram.
I dont think it's the switch since everything works on the outside.
The light for the arrow on the left side might be burnt out.
Ok, I'll look one up.

Quoting you saying "burnt out", you're taking about the actual light that illuminates left arrow? Inside the instrument cluster?

As for the lack of clicking sound, that feels like it's a relay issue, no?

zora

Staff member
Reaction score
Correct the component used to light up the arrow. The sound may be generated by the radio, check the owners manual electrical section for relays.

Shade Tree Wannabe

Reaction score
Correct the component used to light up the arrow. The sound may be generated by the radio, check the owners manual electrical section for relays.
Ok, I got into the cluster and sure enough that tiny bulb for the turn signal was burnt out.

Good call.

As for the absence of the clicking/chiming I couldn't find any relays that could've been the problem. I forgot to mention the radio installed is an aftermarket one. Would that affect the absence of the blinker noise?

I also searched more info and some sources pointed to the possibility of the ecm not functioning properly. But if thats the case I can definitely deal with no clicking if it means getting another ecm.

zora

Staff member
Reaction score
If the aftermarket radio was installed without a kit that would explain the lack of blinker sound.
Did you just buy this car?

Shade Tree Wannabe

Reaction score
Ok, I got into the cluster and sure enough that tiny bulb for the turn signal was burnt out.

Good call.

As for the absence of the clicking/chiming I couldn't find any relays that could've been the problem. I forgot to mention the radio installed is an aftermarket one. Would that matter?

I also searched more info and some sources pointed to the possibility of the ecm not functioning properly. But if thats the case I can definitely deal with no clicking if it means getting another ecm
If the aftermarket radio was installed without a kit that would explain the lack of blinker sound.
Did you just buy this car?

As my name would suggest, I do this on the side. In this particular case though, just helping out a friend.