chevy forums   chevy forums

Go Back   Chevy Forums > Chevy Forums - Cars > Chevy Malibu Forum

Chevy Malibu Forum Discussions regarding the Chevrolet Malibu

Chevy Forum: Gas mileage

Old 03-26-2016, 09:33 AM

Default Gas mileage

2009 Malibu 49,000, 4 cyl. dual overhead cams, had 45,000 when I got it. Driving around town and highway I'm only averaging only 13 mpg. I read it should be 19-33.
Runs great and I replaced the air filter twice with different brands in 4,000 miles even though they were clean.
I'm an average driver and I'm very easy on the petal.
What could be wrong?
My first post and I hope I didn't screw up!
Mike

Old 03-26-2016, 10:21 AM
Administrator

Default Re: Gas mileage

1. Do you have a check engine light on?
2. Do you have the tires correctly inflated to the cold temperature listed on the drivers door pillar?
3. You measured mileage by filling the tank, driving a certain distance and then dividing that distance by the amount you put in on the second fill up, or the car has a DIC and displays the MPG?
Old 03-26-2016, 10:57 AM

No lights on.
I checked my tires out at my local Shell station monthly and they are to specs. All checks are with only I mile to Shell station. Also checked them out at the Mobile station across the street from Shell.
I fill it up, write down the mileage and again when I fill it up again.
Divide the mileage by the amount of gas used.
Is my mileage really bad? It seems so. It runs perfect!
Do all 2009 Malibu have dual overhead camshafts! Could that be why?
Thanks for the reply!
Mike
Old 03-26-2016, 04:00 PM
Administrator

Your mileage does sound bad, I assume this is an automatic transmission. I wonder if the lockup torque converter isnt working. Your car has GM's standard 4 cylinder design called the Ecotec, it has been around at this point for many years. You could have a shop look at it but it doesnt appear to be anything obvious. I'd be curious if you have poor mileage in a highway only driving trip. I have a 2008 Pontiac G5, same basic engine, drive back roads to work and get 28 mpg. Wife has a 2015 Buick, again same basic engine family, highway miles are always 30 mpg or more.
Old 03-28-2016, 02:37 PM

Sunday I traveled from Barrington, R.I. to Springfield Mass. totaling 203 miles round trip. I filled it up and it took 10.6 gallons.
That comes out to about 19MPG.
Set the speed at 60 most of the way.
Ran flawless with 4 new Goodyear Eagle LS2 tires.
If that has to be with dual overhead cams then so be it.
Old 03-28-2016, 03:33 PM
Administrator

Has nothing to do with dual overhead cams, that design is highly efficient. What is your rpm at 60 mph?