chevy forums   chevy forums

Go Back   Chevy Forums > Chevy Forums - Trucks, SUVs and Crossovers > Chevy Suburban Forum

Notices

Chevy Suburban Forum Discussions regarding the Chevrolet Suburban

Chevy Forum: egr valve

Old 02-05-2018, 11:14 AM

Default egr valve

Hi,

94 Chevy 5.7

I've read on a couple other forums about people possibly having a bad EGR Valve causing hesitation from a stop sign/light once the motor warms up.

I've read one guy's reply in that he simply bypassed his EGR valve by plugging the hose leading to it....

Said it ran fine that way and just left it that way without replacing the EGR valve and re-hooking it up.

MY QUESTION....does running your vehicle that way BYPASSING the EGR valve for an extended period of time cause any damage to the motor in anyway ? Worse gas mileage ?? ANY CONCERNS ?

Old 02-05-2018, 01:58 PM
Administrator

Default Re: egr valve

If the valve is stuck open what is disconnecting the hose going to do, nothing! Read this link
http://troubleshootmyvehicle.com/gm/...-valve-tests-1
Old 02-05-2018, 03:36 PM

Yeah, I saw that...however not sure a "test" is in order for mine because I feel I simply got a bad NEW one....the cheapest which is probably a mistake.

220,000 miles...."check engine" light came on for the first time ever and it started idling a little up and down...coded as EGR.

SO I already knew I needed to have the intake gaskets changed cuz it had started oozing a bit a while back so while I had the gaskets done I had a NEW EGR valve, and throttle position sensor put in....normally the senors I would have done myself but since it was in the shop anyway for the gaskets there was no more labor charged to put the new sensors in that I purchased from the local parts store...so I just let them do it.

GOOD: Idles PERFECT again and no more check engine light
Shifts much smoother with the new TPS...almost can't feel it shift now.

BAD: After it warms up it will "hesitate" a bit at stop signs and lights when I accelerate then after it gets past say 10mph it's perfect...perfect down the highway etc. Starts and shuts off just fine....just has the "hesitation" from a stop once warmed up.

I then added a new EGR solenoid....no better, still the hesitation when warmed up.

So I disconnected the hose leading to the new EGR valve and plugged that hose with a screw and it runs absolutely perfect...smooth, good acceleration etc.

SO my conclusion is that the new CHEAP EGR valve just isn't quite right so I'm thinking of just spending the $100 to get a true AC DELCO EGR valve and returning the cheap $50 one

Do you feel I'm on the right path with my diagnosis ?

Last edited by rickbert; 02-05-2018 at 04:02 PM.
Old 02-05-2018, 07:36 PM
Administrator

ok that is a much clearer explanation and that is exactly why one of the tests was to check for vacuum at idle going to the egr, if you have vacuum at idle it doesnt matter what egr you are using there is a problem elsewhere.
Old 02-06-2018, 05:27 PM

Ends up I was correct ON THIS ONE.....once in a while I'll nail it....LOL

Took the CHEAP new EGR valve off and paid $120 for an AC DELCO and runs like brand new again...no hesitation at stop lights/signs after it warms completely up.

LESSON LEARNED DON'T BUY CHEAP PARTS
Old 02-07-2018, 11:11 AM
Administrator

great to hear you got it corrected.
Old 02-12-2018, 11:13 AM

Although I have my problem solved.....

Back to my ORIGINAL question:

For those that DO decide to just plug the hose going to the EGR valve and everything seems to run ok and leave it that way....does it cause ANY harm to the engine in any way if left that way for a long period of time ?

Decrease gas mileage as well ?

Just curious....
Old 02-12-2018, 11:24 AM
Administrator

no negative aspects as far as running or longevity just air pollution.