chevy forums   chevy forums

Go Back   Chevy Forums > General Discussion > General Discussion / Introductions

General Discussion / Introductions The forum lounge. Discuss topics not intended for other areas in the community. This is a great place for introductions...

Chevy Forum: 04 Malibu 3.5l EGR Flow Insufficient

Old 09-29-2019, 11:37 AM

Question 04 Malibu 3.5l EGR Flow Insufficient

Hi everyone, looking for some suggestions;
I have a 2004 malibu LT 3.5l and am getting "EGR Flow Insufficient"
I have a new OEM EGR valve and tested all voltages/ground on the harness, the pintle action, and the voltages from the pintle postion sensor. I removed the plenum and cleaned it thoroughly (new gasket) and made sure the EGR venturies are all clean - I have no vacuum leaks. Also have a new exhaust tube and ran the car with the tube out to verify exhaust is flowing through it.
The map sensor is reading 31 to 33Kpa at idle and I'm reading 19hg vacuum at idle.
From what I can find, the ECU is looking for a drop in MAP sensor reading when the EGR is opened but that's about all the information I can find.
Does anyone know if this model is looking for any other information like O2 readings or MAF flow? I have no other codes and have checked over everything several times.

Thanks,
Tony

Old 09-29-2019, 06:18 PM
Administrator

Default Re: 04 Malibu 3.5l EGR Flow Insufficient

Only other thing mentioned that you havent done is the differential pressure sensor
https://www.obd-codes.com/p0401
Old 09-29-2019, 08:35 PM

on this model the I believe the DPFE sensor is just the EGR valve itself and the pintle is either opened or closed. I tested the pintle opening and closing and also checked the voltages for the pintle position sensor so I'm relatively certain the EGR is good. I also have 2 other EGR valves that I've tested since I have been chasing this issue for so long.
I'm planning on running some wires from the EGR position sensor to a voltage meter and taking it on a drive, according to what I've read the voltages should change over 40mph and then when backing off the throttle - haven't had a chance to do that test yet.
Old 09-30-2019, 09:35 AM
Administrator

See if this helps, I realize the 3.5 is not listed.
https://easyautodiagnostics.com/gm/3...nostic-tests-1