chevy forums   chevy forums

Go Back   Chevy Forums > Chevy Forums - Cars > Chevy Malibu Forum

Notices

Chevy Malibu Forum Discussions regarding the Chevrolet Malibu

Chevy Forum: 2010 malibu lt battery drain fuse 20?

Old 12-06-2015, 09:36 PM

Question 2010 malibu lt battery drain fuse 20?

Hello everyone,

I have a 2010 Chevy Malibu with just 20,000 miles on it. Can you please help me with a "FUSE 20" question?

Here is the problem: Overnight the battery is totally drained by morning.

After disconnecting and charging the battery I put a amp meter in series with the negative side of the battery, waited for the overhead dome light to time out and then observed a load of about 5.2 AMPS on the battery!

Under the hood I started disconnecting fuses until I saw the load drop almost nothing... that was finally "FUSE 20" (not to be confused with a 20 amp fuse).

I learned that fuse feeds the "IBCM-1" Module/Computer, the alarm system and door locks but I have been unable to discover what else is fed by "FUSE 20"?

I disconnected the amp meter and then unplugged the three large connectors to the "IBCM-1" Module/Computer". I reconnected the meter and reinstalled "FUSE 20" and the meter went right back up to 5.2 AMPS with that computer still disconnected.

If I remove "FUSE 20" after parking (and overnight) the car starts fine after reinstalling the fuse! I should mention FUSE-20 has never actually blown, but for sure, that 5.2 AMP load will KILL that battery by morning if I fail to remove the fuse.

Can someone please tell me what else is connected to "FUSE-20"?

Thank you for your time and help!
Anthony

Old 12-07-2015, 11:41 AM
Administrator

Default Re: 2010 malibu lt battery drain fuse 20?

based on your other posts you found the problem was crimping issue
Old 12-19-2015, 05:20 PM

Lightbulb MALIBU BATTERY DRAIN SOLUTION and WARNING!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zora View Post
based on your other posts you found the problem was crimping issue
Thank you for your reply! The GROUND CRIMPING was a true issue for my 2010 Malibu, but that did not fix my problem...

After a $50.00 electrical diagnosis ~ my REAL problem was: My NEW "DURALAST" battery was defective! Now my new battery is a "INTERSTATE BATTERY". Thankfully none of my computers were faulty or damaged and that news was very welcome too.

I'm sure AutoZone will refund the cost of my DURALAST battery (with my two new receipts), but this entire adventure was NO fun because I lost a LOT of hours and all this ended up expensive at the end.

I am happy to tell you, this AM my Malibu started right up with no issues and FUSE-20 was in all night. Yeaaaae.

HERE IS A VITAL NOTE!

START YOUR CAR and leave the car RUNNING as you carefully replace your battery! This preserves your Radio, Clock settings AND most important, your COMPUTER MEMORIES! To simply replace your battery (engine off) can cause a serious "Voltage Spike" as you reconnect and that CAN "reset" or clear one or more of your Computer memories! Reprogramming just ONE of your computers can cost you HUNDREDS of dollars!

I sincerely thank you for your replies and interest... This was a real fire-drill, but it is RESOLVED!

Anthony