chevy forums   chevy forums

Go Back   Chevy Forums > Chevy Forums - Trucks, SUVs and Crossovers > Chevy Silverado Forum

Chevy Silverado Forum Discussions regarding the Chevrolet Silverado

Chevy Forum: 2017 Silverado Z71 4x4 Zone 6.5" Lift Install Project

Old 12-25-2017, 02:00 AM

Default 2017 Silverado Z71 4x4 Zone 6.5" Lift Install Project

Wanted to install lift on my truck myself to save some money. Picked up a zone lift on ebay for $1,000, after calling some places to install the lift and seeing how much they charge to install i decided to find some youtube videos and try to attempt it myself in the driveway. Not having a car lift would make it challenging, and also working nights and having only 2-3 hours between shifts would make it even more fun, but challenge accepted!!! so here we go...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbl5rGQrxak&t

Old 12-26-2017, 01:09 AM

Default Re: 2017 Silverado Z71 4x4 Zone 6.5" Lift Install Project

Day 2 of the lift project continues, my little helper helped me out a little, Was able to remove more parts from the front, gotta modify the front differential and cut frame sections and weld in new plates etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ldAZLHmGE0&t

Old 12-26-2017, 11:55 PM

Another day under the belt, since I'm doing about 2 hours a day before work, it feels like it's taking longer than it should be, but so far I'm about 6-7 hours in the lift install, so it's not so bad. Enjoy the vid and stay tuned for day 4 hopefully will be uploaded tomorrow or the following day. Getting exciting!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOoK04i_EYA&t

Old 12-27-2017, 11:40 AM
Administrator

as I sit here watching your videos with snow in my driveway and the therometer in the 20's I'm envious that you can work on your vehicle in the driveway at the end of December.
I would not call that job a DIY for the average guy. You have a very large assortment of tools at your disposal plus welding equipment. That is easily a $1,000 worth of labor to get that done.
Being not familiar with truck lift kits was the front kit typical for lift kits or was it that complex due to the 6.5" lift and lower lift kits would not be that involved?
Is there any impact on the driveshaft universal joints due to the angle change?
Old 12-28-2017, 02:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zora View Post
as I sit here watching your videos with snow in my driveway and the therometer in the 20's I'm envious that you can work on your vehicle in the driveway at the end of December.
I would not call that job a DIY for the average guy. You have a very large assortment of tools at your disposal plus welding equipment. That is easily a $1,000 worth of labor to get that done.
Being not familiar with truck lift kits was the front kit typical for lift kits or was it that complex due to the 6.5" lift and lower lift kits would not be that involved?
Is there any impact on the driveshaft universal joints due to the angle change?
this year has been crazy as far as rain goes, usually by now its raining all the time and snowing a couple hours away, never seeing in this dry ever. As for the lift, i think most lifts above 4" require just as much work. Lowering doesnt require this much work at all. And for the angles on the balljoints and axles its actually pretty good with this Zone lift, some cheaper lifts put more stress on the front drivetrain.
Old 12-28-2017, 02:26 AM

All the modifications have been done to the frame and the differential and now installing back all the parts. SO far it has been an interesting experience. Would i do it again? yes, but i would have to plan it better, maybe when i have a day off work so i can do it all at once lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qv0TI9wL-s&t

Old 12-28-2017, 11:04 AM
Administrator

sorry when I mentioned driveshaft angle I was referring to the rear axle, have you had a chance to drive it at say 50 to 60 mph, any increased vibrations?
Old 12-29-2017, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zora View Post
sorry when I mentioned driveshaft angle I was referring to the rear axle, have you had a chance to drive it at say 50 to 60 mph, any increased vibrations?
why would the rear axle vibrate? because of the block installed? had no issues no.
Old 12-29-2017, 12:09 AM

Finally the front has been finished, is has been a challenge since I have never done such a lift with so many moving parts and needed modification, I have done lifts on a Ram 2500 and an F250, but those are easier because of a solid front axle and less moving parts etc., its a good experience regardless, the front would be cake!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-u95xCx_h-k&t

Old 12-29-2017, 11:54 PM

finally its all done, the rear was pretty fast to do, it now sits all leveled and nice. So far the lift project took me about 13 hours to do, a little longer than i expected, but i took my time and wasnt in no hurry to make sure i did everything right and not forget to tighter things.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJb3a7Hf2KM