chevy forums   chevy forums

Go Back   Chevy Forums > Chevy Forums - Trucks, SUVs and Crossovers > Chevy Suburban Forum

Chevy Suburban Forum Discussions regarding the Chevrolet Suburban

Chevy Forum: 2001 Suburban, priorities

Old 11-14-2019, 05:02 PM

Default 2001 Suburban, priorities

Hey all, I've got a few issues on my 2001 5.3L 1500 Suburban I'm looking to prioritize and do what I can DIY instead of paying a shop. Issues are:

-Idler arm needs replaced
-Pitman arm needs replaced
-Right front inner and outer tierod need replaced
-Right front brake caliper leaking, needs a new caliper, brake pads and the rotor reworked.

I'm looking to start with replacing the caliper and brake pads, really not sure if the rotor needs to be reworked. I just replaced it 2 years ago. Car shop said the leaking has made it in need of being reworked. Is that necessary and is there is a cheap way to get one reworked?

For the other issues, are they somewhat easy to do for a mechanically inclined person? How should go about it?

Thanks for any advice!

Old 11-14-2019, 05:07 PM
Administrator

Default Re: 2001 Suburban, priorities

If you mean rebuild the caliper most people just buy another one, either new or rebuilt.
You need tools to do idler arm and pitman arm so they would need to be rented. I would first make sure you really need them.
Same goes for the tierod ends, make sure you need them and you will need an alignment after replacing them.
Old 11-14-2019, 06:07 PM

I'm going to buy the new caliper, it's the rotor I'm considering having reworked over buying a new one.

I wouldn't know if I truly need the tie rod, the idler or pitman arm replaced. I'm going off what the shop told me after I had my transmission serviced. The mechanic did lift the truck up and show me where all of these things are a bit loose. But to me, it didn't seem that bad though I also don't know what I'm looking at.

It sounds like a hefty job for someone like myself with limited mechanical know-how with cars and limited tools. I'd prefer to ignore the issues if possible but don't want it to lead to further issues down the road or possible safety risks.

How can you tell if these issues truly need attention?
Old 11-15-2019, 03:53 PM
Administrator

Why would you do anything to the rotor if it isn't scored on a two year old rotor?
How to check all these things for wear can by found on YouTube.
Old 11-16-2019, 03:25 PM

Iím only going off what the shop told me, Iím not able to tell that it needs to be reworked just by looking at it. They also said the pads to be replaced too.
Other then renting a puller for the pitman/idler job and a pickle fork for the tie rod job is there anything else I would need? The more I look into this the more confident I feel I can handle this job. Itís just all new, Iíve never done any of these jobs before.
Old 11-16-2019, 05:08 PM
Administrator

You can tell if the pads are worn down to the backing plate causing the rotor to be scored