chevy forums   chevy forums

Go Back   Chevy Forums > Chevy Forums - Trucks, SUVs and Crossovers > Chevy Equinox Forum

Chevy Equinox Forum Discussions regarding the Chevrolet Equinox

Chevy Forum: 2008 Equinox transfer case question

Old 12-28-2019, 08:05 AM

Default 2008 Equinox transfer case question

So my daughter's 08 Equinox AWD has a noise in the front while driving that sounds like a bad wheel bearing. The shop she brought it to tried replacing the right wheel bearing hub and right axle.Still have the noise.The noise gets louder when turning to the left, and quieter when turning right.When I crawled under to take a look at things I noticed that if I grab the end of the axle shaft that slides into the transfer case I can move it up and down about 1/4" or so.Is this normal? Maybe a bad right side transfer case bearing?

Old 12-28-2019, 11:27 AM
Administrator

Default Re: 2008 Equinox transfer case question

Cannt imagine that much up/down play without a pretty large leakage of fluid. If you drive with the wheel turned fully to lock in either direction do you hear the noise and feel it in the steering? Can you duplicate the noise with the vehicle front end jacked up and engine running?
Old 12-28-2019, 12:55 PM

Thanks for the reply Zora.
I think I need to explain the movement a little better. The end of the shaft that connects to the transfer case has what I think is a cv joint in a housing shaped like a can. If I grab the end of that section that is closer to the wheel ,I can rock it up and down,with the movement kind of pivoting from the transfer case end.The movement there is about 1/4".The end that is next to the transfer case has noticeable play,just a clunking when I move it up and down.The axle shaft on the left side does not have the same play,seems a lot tighter.
The noise starts to be noticeable at around 10 MPH and gets a littler louder as the speed increases.If I turn side to side,it gets louder turning left, and quieter turning right.Seems to be coming from the middle, but hard to tell.The noise sounds like what you would hear with an older car that has front tapered roller bearings,and you load the bad side by turning.
If I jack it up to run it in gear I will need to jack up the rear too,right, as it's AWD?
Old 12-28-2019, 04:44 PM
Administrator

Yes but I asked you to try it in a parking lot. First all the way turned to the right for one circle and then all the way turned to the left one circle. Trying to determine if you have a bad CV joint.
Old 12-29-2019, 09:14 AM

The shop that worked on the issue(who is a family friend)found the right axle to be bad, and replaced it.The left side axle was supposedly checked and found to be ok. Have not verified that.Will check it out.
Old 12-29-2019, 10:05 AM
Administrator

Any reason didn't go back to him ?
He didnt test drive it after the repair?