chevy forums   chevy forums

Go Back   Chevy Forums > Chevy Forums - Cars > Chevy Chevelle Forum

Notices

Chevy Chevelle Forum Discussions regarding the Chevrolet Chevelle

Chevy Forum: Fair price for a '71 Chevelle Wagon

Old 03-09-2017, 04:47 PM

Default Fair price for a '71 Chevelle Wagon

I'm hoping to save a '71 Chevelle Estate/Malibu Wagon that is currently in the possession of a company that "improves" classic cars by re-mounting the bodies on modern Camaro frames.

Apparently, a potential customer wanted to have this done to a running/largely-complete 1971 Chevelle Estate but ran low on funds, forcing him to abandon the project. The shop is now attempting to sell the Chevelle on his behalf and I'm hoping to acquire what will be my first classic, saving this beautiful car.

I've already had the opportunity to inspect the car and am preparing to begin negotiating a fair price. I would like to ask your help in determining a 'fair' price for this amazing car.

I'm going to try to provide the most honest-possible assessment of this car;

As I previously stated, she is a '71 Chevelle Estate (station wagon)

She underwent some body-work and was re-painted in the late '80's, in which the original color was 'brightened' and Chevelle-esque racing-stripes were added. The body work seems to be of very-high quality as I cannot see any "waves" in the body-lines or find a spot where a magnet will not adhere. On the other hand, the paint has a slightly "dimpled" appearance and has worn in a few corners, allowing for slight surface rust in those areas.

All the glass is present and not cracked, but the motor powering the pane in the tailgate is burnt out. also the window trim appears to be after-market and is not of the best quality.

Most of the chrome pieces, such as the door-handles and bumper are 'dimpled' as well, which suggests that they are corroding underneath.

All doors function/line up, however, the two-way tailgate can only open downward (it originally could also swing out)...

The frame appears solid, and there is minimal rust underneath the car.

All the seats are covered but the interior is present. However, it is not the most appealing shade of green, and I would want to replace it at some point.

The engine is a 307, turning a turbo 350 trans. Both function, but an oil leak requires that the motor be 'topped-off' after every 100 miles. The leak appears to come from the oil pan...

The car is currently badged for a 454, but I would be interested in eventually replacing the 307 with a 396 and a stick....

Thank you in advance.

Old 03-10-2017, 10:37 AM
Administrator

Default Re: Fair price for a '71 Chevelle Wagon

look at these links
http://www.collectorcarmarket.com/co...lle-value.html

http://www.nadaguides.com/Classic-Cars/1971/Chevrolet

Tags
chevelle estate, malibu wagon