chevy forums   chevy forums

Go Back   Chevy Forums > General Discussion > General Discussion / Introductions

Notices

General Discussion / Introductions The forum lounge. Discuss topics not intended for other areas in the community. This is a great place for introductions...

Chevy Forum: Suburban 2500 gas tank(s)

Old 05-15-2018, 07:30 PM

Question Suburban 2500 gas tank(s)

I purchased a used 2001 Suburban 2500 4X4. When I purchased the vehicle the seller offered to fill it up with gas. He put 55 gallons in the tank. I noticed that there is 2 gas tanks, one above the spare tire and the large tank under the driver side. There is only one fill for the tanks. The original owner is no longer with us to ask.
The most gas I have been able to put in the tank is about 35 gallons. I'm afraid to run it very long with low fuel light on to see if I can put more in. There is no switch anywhere I can find to switch tanks.
Does anyone know of this set up and how it works??????

Old 05-16-2018, 09:08 AM
Administrator

Default Re: Suburban 2500 gas tank(s)

I have no explanation of why he put 55 gallons other than the additional tank above the spare, if you look at the owners manual page 6-74 the capacity is 38.5 gallons. The smaller tank is an add on from the previous owner. Have you had the vehicle on a lift to determine how the tanks are connected? Can you see a label on the smaller tank to indicate the manufacturer?
http://www.vadengmpp.com/owners-manu...t-Suburban.pdf
Old 05-16-2018, 02:16 PM

Large filler hose goes into secondary tank on driver side, large filler hose exits secondary on passenger side to primary tank. To me it appears to be gravity fed?? Looks like it was factory installed, but I can't find any RPO codes to verify.

Stumped!!
Old 05-17-2018, 02:06 PM
Administrator

The sender for the light would be in the bottom tank so the light would only come on if the bottom tank is low at which point the top tank would be empty.
I assume you see no electrical connections to the top tank?
Old 05-18-2018, 11:20 AM

Did not see any electrical to top tank. I think I may just carry a can of gas with me and see how far I can go before it runs out and then see how much I can put back!!