chevy forums   chevy forums

Go Back   Chevy Forums > Chevy Forums - Trucks, SUVs and Crossovers > Chevy Tahoe Forum

Notices

Chevy Tahoe Forum Discussions regarding the Chevrolet Tahoe

Chevy Forum: Trottle Body Bad?

Old 03-15-2017, 09:52 PM

Default Throttle Body Bad?

I have a 2008 Tahoe with about 150,000 miles on it. The trouble started with messages of 'Reduced Engine Power', 'Service Stabilatrak' and 'Service Traction Control'. If it matters this is a 2WD vehicle. I limped home and the next morning it started and run fine but with CEL. Went to work and after work it started and the CEL didn't come on. Good for a week. Then it did it again the following week. I pulled over and sat for a couple minutes and it started and ran fine. Took it to AZ and they pulled P2135 and P0120. Only two codes.

Ran good for another week. The temperature dropped locally from the 50s to the 20s and it started acting up more consistently...every time I took it out at least once. Fortunately it was always in my neighborhood and in one case pulling up the drive. I drive 30 minutes freeway daily and not once did it do this there. Always at slower speeds.

Then one morning, it melted down. Wouldn't stay running, stall three times just trying to go down the driveway. I put it back in the garage and took my wife's car to work. Haven't driven it since. Tonight, I started it in the garage. It started and ran, but the idle was a little erratic. It acts like it wants to die, then revs once to recover, then settles down to a semi-consistent 1,000 RPM idle.

But here's why I'm here....when I put the key in the ignition and just turn to the on position, I hear a 'flapping' noise. Almost like someone shaking Milk-duds in a plastic container. When I turn the key off, it does it again, but a lot more pronounced and longer. I have audio of this but can't figure out how to embed it here. I also have audio with the vehicle being started, running and being shut off. I hear the noise just before it starts just before it does the high idle 'recovery' rev and after I turn it off. Lasts about a second after turned off.

My question is does this sound like a faulty (or pitifully dirty) throttle body? I keep seeing these codes associated with that, but I also see people saying it could be anything. Also reading horror stories of people dropping loads of cash at dealerships and the problem not going away.

Does all of this sound like it's worth replacing the TSP or even the entire TB or am I wasting my money?

Please let me know your thoughts or let me know if you need more information. Thanks.

Last edited by LippinOff; 03-15-2017 at 10:07 PM. Reason: Corrected Title

Old 03-16-2017, 08:37 AM
Administrator

Default Re: Trottle Body Bad?

assuming you dont have more than the two codes at this point the P0120 points to the TPS. If you can do the tests in this link try that other wise try replacing the TPS just make sure it's not a wire harness or connection issue before replacing it.
https://www.obd-codes.com/p0120
https://www.obd-codes.com/p2135
Old 03-16-2017, 04:48 PM

Thank you, zora. Those are indeed the only two codes and I will check the harness.

Regarding the noise I hear when I start and shutoff the truck; I had a few people at work listen to this on the recording and they all said it sounded like a plastic gear spinning and stripping at high speed.
Old 03-17-2017, 11:47 AM
Administrator

that sound is from your blend door actuator motor probably having a stripped gear exactly as you describe. There may be more than on actuator, listen under the dash on the passenger side as you turn the engine off.