chevy forums   chevy forums

Go Back   Chevy Forums > Chevy Forums - Cars > Chevy Nova Forum

Chevy Nova Forum Discussions regarding the Chevrolet Nova

Chevy Forum: 1975 Chevy Nova Help fix and restore questions

Old 03-18-2019, 02:10 PM

Question 1975 Chevy Nova Help fix and restore questions

Appreciate any tips/advice on taking excellent care of my Nova. Anyone that knows about old classic muscle cars or classics in general, I need help with my own vehicle and have many questions. Help me complete my car, I plan on keeping it for a long time, but I do not have the knowledge to be taking care of it and fully as I would like to. Its my first car too and I will completely restore it to its full potential. Currently I have 5 main issues. I cannot wait to make it brand new again. I have at least 5 issues to discuss to get her closer to being finished. Searching for a left fender extension. There is a clicking in my engine and it keeps stalling. I will go to hit on the brake and it will die as I am turning or stopping at a light. Its like it is not getting enough gas so I drive giving it gas all the time so that it does not die. Maybe it needs fuel and air mixture adjusted, I do not know.

Old 03-18-2019, 02:16 PM
Administrator

Default Re: 1975 Chevy Nova Help fix and restore questions

which engine is in the car?
how long have you had the car?
how many miles on the car?
did you change the oil using an oil with high zinc/phosphorus content, most modern oils do not have enough to prevent damage to the lifters and camshaft?
what is your skill level, do you know how to determine if the noise is coming from the valve covers?
Old 03-18-2019, 03:41 PM

It has a 350. 2 bbl carb. 73,000 miles and I have had it since September 2017 I think. I do not have much skill with cars, never had someone to teach me really and I've only been driving legally since 2016 and I am 21. All I know is the clicking is coming from the engine and gets louder when I push the accelerator. I was told it is flooding somehow. When I go to stop or slow down to turn my car wants to die and has while I was turning so.
Old 03-18-2019, 06:31 PM
Administrator

the clicking noise has nothing to do with the engine flooding. The ticking indicates some kind of mechanical wear in the engine which may or may not be related to the stalling problem. Not sure how to guide you with resolving either problem if you have no knowledge of how engines work. You have to isolate the source of the noise specifically to what part of the engine is causing it. It would also be of benefit if you had the basic tools to adjust the ignition dwell, ignition timing, and carburetor adjustments. If you can not perform those functions you will need to rely on a professional mechanic familiar with older cars.
Old 03-19-2019, 10:06 AM

I believe it may be the rocker arm because i think the sound is from under the valve cover.
Old 03-19-2019, 10:32 AM
Administrator

It is quite possible it is a rocker arm which would require removing the valve cover and checking which rocker arm/s are noisy, it could be more than one. It could also be camshaft wear.
Old 03-24-2019, 08:38 AM

Thank you for your wisdom, I tightened 2 loose rockers but the clicking is still there but not as loud. replaced my valve covers too because the ones I had were beat up a little. Going to need a pcv valve or a breather oil cap for the car because the valve covers are different from the old ones. Had too much oil pressure it overflowed at the bottom so I had to leave my oil cap off until I get either something called a grommet and breather cap if there is one of those. My choke is good, it is set to where I hit the gas down once and it warms up and after 2 minutes I hit the gas again and have it warm up on the lower idle and it has not stalled on me yet but when I hit the brake to turn or stop, my car gets very quiet like its going to die but hasnt yet.
Old 03-24-2019, 10:43 AM
Administrator

how did you determine those 2 rockers were loose, you used a rubber hose to listen to each rocker arm with the engine running? How much did you tighten them?
Old 03-26-2019, 02:10 PM

Smile Re: 1975 Chevy Nova Help fix and restore questions

they are all a little loose not too tight. there were two that needed tightened a little. clicking is slightly there still so. Maybe its still that or the camshaft like you said.
Old 03-27-2019, 11:10 AM
Administrator

Below is the factory procedure for adjusting the valves with the engine off and cold. Instead of adjusting 1 full turn after no play is felt adjust only a 1/2 turn.

Hydraulic Valve Lifter Adjustment
In the ease of disassembly, or any other cause for valve tappet adjustment, proceed as follows:
1. Adjust rocker arm nuts to eliminate lash. This must be done when lifter is on base of circle of cam.
2. Remove distributor cap and crank engine until distributor rotor points to No. 1 cylinder terminal, with points open.

The following valves can be adjusted with the engine in No. 1 firing position:
Intake No. 1, 2, 5, 7, Exhaust No. 1, 3, 4, 8

3. Turn adjusting nut until all lash is removed from this particular valve train. This can be determined by rotating the pushrod back-and-forth with your finger tips, while tightening the adjustment nut, until you can no longer rotate the pushrod. When all play has been removed, turn adjusting nut one more turn. This will place the lifter plunger in the center of its travel.
4. Follow steps 2 and 3 to adjust remaining valves.
Rotating pushrod with finger tipsRotate pushrod while tightening adjuster nut.
The following valves can be adjusted with the engine in the No. 6 firing position:
Intake No. 3, 4, 6, 8, Exhaust No. 2, 5, 6, 7

Tags
1975, carburetor, nova, restoration