chevy forums   chevy forums

Go Back   Chevy Forums > Chevy Forums - Trucks, SUVs and Crossovers > Chevy Suburban Forum

Notices

Chevy Suburban Forum Discussions regarding the Chevrolet Suburban

Chevy Forum: 02 Burd Replace Door Speakers

Old 01-04-2018, 08:07 PM

Default 02 Burd Replace Door Speakers

Has anyone replaced the door speakers on a 2002 Suburban ??? I can find adapter mounts for the front doors, to install 6.5" speakers. But the back door speakers, do they not need adapters ??? Can not seem to find rear door adapters. Also,,, saw a video where a guy replaced rear speakers on a 99 Burb,,,and he did not remove door panel, just popped off speaker grill,,, that true for the 02 Burb ? Also, the front doors have a small tweeter above the main speakers,,,, the replacement speakers have tweeters in them,,, so,,, just disconnect the oem tweeters, if they are bad ?

Old 01-05-2018, 11:11 AM
Administrator

Default Re: 02 Burd Replace Door Speakers

this link states an adaptor is required and comes with the speaker but I dont know whether you have onstar/bose system.
https://www.crutchfield.com/g_400/Al...tml?tp=105&l=D
Old 01-05-2018, 11:27 AM

It had the 15071234 Delco CD/Radio in it. I replaced that with an aftermarket radio to get more features. The Burb also has an oem amp behind the glove box, all works fine to that point but the speakers have a fuzz-rattle with even slight volume increases.{ Had that with original radio, that is the reason for this upgrade } I got 4 - 6.5 inch speakers with tweeters, so front door oem tweeters will be retired. I ordered door speaker adapters for the front doors,,, but can not find adapters for the rear doors,, maybe rears are different and do not need those,,,, the guy with the 99, looks like no adapters,,,,????? Also ordered 4 speaker wire harness adapters, so I do not have to cut and solder anything. As far as onstar/bose,,,, there are no labels anywhere that say Bose or Onstar,,, I guess I can search for a VIN code to tell me that,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, but since I am replacing the oem radio/speakers with aftermarket components, that may not be an issue. Like I mentioned in my post,,, a guy changed 'rear' speakers in a 1999 Burb, without removing the door panels,,,, . So,,, is a 2002,, the same as a 1999 for that install ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4642QG3XEbo

Last edited by PtownBubba; 01-05-2018 at 11:45 AM.
Old 01-09-2018, 08:40 PM

It looks like the 2002 Burb, is different than the 1999 as far as rear door speakers,,, the 02 rear speaker grills are not like the 99 grills in video,, the 02 grills are a vertical oval shape,,, the 99,, more horizontal,,,tried to pop grills off,, but they acted like they did not want to pop off,,, so looks like I need to remove door panels,, not horrible to do,, just too bad grills won't just pop off,,,
Old 01-10-2018, 06:38 AM

So, to update my deal,,,,, the speaker adapters I have are American International #GMSB345,, says it is for my Burb,, and 6.5 speakers,,,,, problem is,,, these adapters have the center opening of 5 1/8 in. ,,, my speakers need a 5 1/2 in. opening,,,,,, so,, these adapters will probably fit in the Burbs door,, but the 6.5-s I have are too big to fit into adapters,,,,,must be other 6.5-s are a tad smaller in diameter,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, so,,, hopefully,,,,, the speakers I have will fit in the door speaker hole,,, and can be screwed right to door,,, without any adapters,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, maybe,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ???
Old 01-10-2018, 10:31 AM
Administrator

they dont show that adapter for a 2002, it shows as 2007 to 2013
Old 01-10-2018, 11:38 AM

Trying to replace speakers in an American made car sure is confusing,,,,,my adapters package says 1995 to 2007,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, I guess I will just close my eyes and tear into it,, will have a drill and grinder handy if needed,,,, hammer the 6.5" speakers into doors, then use some JB Weld and call it a job,,,,,,,,,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Speaker Adapter.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	34.2 KB
ID:	421  
Old 01-10-2018, 02:56 PM
Administrator

that is the correct package I found the manufacturer application guide
http://www.aius.net/images/appguide/...ationGuide.pdf
Old 01-11-2018, 11:43 PM

The GMSB345 adapters may very well fit into the speaker installation holes,, but like I said,,,, the 6.5" speakers I have, are too big a-round to fit into the adapters,,,,,[ speakers were a gift from my son, and they were listed as fitting a 2002 Burb. ] so,, hopefully I can screw mount the speakers directly in the speaker holes in door,,,,,that is my plan at this point,,,,, instead of buying smaller speakers,,,,
Old 01-12-2018, 07:43 AM

Boss 6.5 speakers
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Boss Speaker fit.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	90.9 KB
ID:	422