chevy forums   chevy forums

Go Back   Chevy Forums > Chevy Forums - Cars > Chevy Cobalt Forum

Notices

Chevy Cobalt Forum Discussions regarding the Chevrolet Cobalt

Chevy Forum: Canoe and bike on a 2 door Cobalt

Old 12-04-2016, 12:45 PM

Default Canoe and bike on a 2 door Cobalt

One of the main issues I had when I bought my 2010 Cobalt was finding a way to carry my canoes. Before I bought my Cobalt I researched my options online. Wasn't much info out there so I will post what I know. Roof rack choices are really limited for the Cobalt. Yakima makes a clamp on system but for the two door it didn't give enough spacing between the bars to carry a canoe. I ended up having Thule TP42 rails screwed to the roof. I had it professionally mounted because I wasn't sure were it was safe to drill holes without hitting the side curtain air bags. They mounted it about a 1/2" inside of the two strips that run the length of the roof. I wish they would have cut the rails shorter and kept it back a bit from the front because the very front edge of the plastic trim piece isn't tight to the roof because of the curve of the roof. I found a new Thule Tracker II rack on Craigslist and a fit kit off ebay. The Tracker II rack is an older discontinued rack but they do make a newer version (460 Podium) that uses the same rails. Prices were $155 for the rails and $155 for mounting. Rack was $50 and fit kit was $37 for a grand total of $397. Quite a bit more then I spent on previous cars but not too bad. Rack can be removed leaving only the rails on the car when not needed. Together with the Curt receiver hitch I put on the back I can haul quite a bit with my little car.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01836.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	374   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01837.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	97.7 KB
ID:	375  

Old 12-04-2016, 12:53 PM

Default Re: Canoe and bike on a 2 door Cobalt

The side window deflectors in the pictures above are Weathertech in the light smoke color which is somewhat transparent allowing for better visibility. I was never able to find a picture of a light smoke one on a black car on the internet either. The dark ones might have looked a bit better but I don't think these look too bad without reducing the already poor visibility of the Cobalt. Another note on Weathertech products. I also have their floor liners and even though they list them only for the automatic they will work in a manual if you trim about a 1/2"-1" around the clutch pedal. At first I thought I didn't need to trim them but in the summer when it was warm it started catching on the pedal.
Old 12-04-2016, 04:26 PM
Administrator

Default Re: Canoe and bike on a 2 door Cobalt

thanks for the post. You really turned your car into quite a little utility hauler!