chevy forums   chevy forums

Go Back   Chevy Forums > Chevy Forums - Cars > Chevy Cavalier Forum

Notices

Chevy Cavalier Forum Discussions regarding the Chevrolet Cavalier

Chevy Forum: 2000 z24 shift solenoid problem-question

Old 10-18-2016, 10:30 AM
Administrator

Default Re: 2000 z24 shift solenoid problem-question

Years ago I used 4 jack stands, at this point in my life I use 6!

Old 10-18-2016, 05:41 PM

Yeah i was just Leary about it being up high on jacks stands and running but I used 6 stands as well for safety.
well I drove the car a bit and warmed it up to operating temp + ran it through all the gears while driving + put it in each gear for 30 seconds with my foot on the brake after I got it up on stands. removed the full plug and got nothing? I ended up putting a total of 3 qts 10 oz (including the first fill a few days ago) into the case before it started coming out the threads!
got a little messy only because right when it started coming out the cooling fan kicked on,Arghhhh!
Hard to believe it was that low, i hope it didn't hurt anything and I hope that was the cause of my codes, getting tired of crawling under the car, at my age getting back up is a chore in itself. LOL
thank you for all your help Zora!
Old 10-19-2016, 10:04 AM
Administrator

no signs of a leak?
how long have you owned the car?
if no leak, I wonder if someone serviced the transmission in the past, filter change, and didnt completely refill
Old 10-19-2016, 05:01 PM

no signs of a leak at all? we have only owned the car for about a month, we bought it from a small dealership that got it at auction (also local). we bought it as a first car for my daughter, the price was right and the car was/is clean as a whistle, ran good and road good,everything works, no dents or rust,new tires all around etc. the dealer gave us the carfax for the car, we're the second owner and we also got all the service records from the dealership it was bought and serviced at since new in 2000. we got it with 78300 on the odometer the last owner put less then 4K on it a year for the last 10 years (must have been a second car at that point and not the primary). the trans was serviced (flushed,new fluid & filter) at 67,800 about 1.5 years ago.
last service record was for an oil change & computer scan, car was traded in on a new car and resold at auction. maybe the tech's got the same 3 codes and told the last owner it may be the worst (solenoid replacement) and they didn't want to spend the money on the car and traded it in instead (thats what I hope)?
I can only assume it was not filled all the way when the trans was serviced? I own it now so I have to deal with it, I hope it lasts 2 years till she can either resell it,trade it in on something or junk it if it falls apart?
Old 10-20-2016, 11:31 AM
Administrator

well the important thing is you appear to have it fixed but shows you whenever practical to recheck the work done by repair facilities.
Old 07-09-2017, 11:01 AM

Ok, well my fix from last October lasted a little over 6.5 months? ran great with no problems till a couple weeks ago? now it's throwing code p0753,p0758,p1680 again, rechecked the wiring,grounds & fuse's all seems to be fine, I'm going to try to probe the solenoid pins for ohms to see if they are in fact bad . I didn't do that last time because the fluid fill did the trick. I am also going to check the fluid level although I dont know how it could be down or low as the car has absolutely no leaks from the engine or trans?
I am hoping I find out that there is a bad wire because I really dont want to have to drop the trans axle and do the side cover removal but I will if I have to. I was wondering if I should check the PCM in the front passenger fender well, could there be a problem with that or the wiring coming out of it over n that corner?

my biggest fear is I spend the time & money and replace the solenoids,gaskets,filter & fluid start the car and find the same codes coming up?
I really hate this trans axle set up!

any words of advise would be appreciated, other than whats already been posted.
Old 07-09-2017, 07:41 PM
Administrator

recheck the steps recommended for the code starting with fluid level ?

https://www.obd-codes.com/p0753
Old 07-11-2017, 07:55 PM

ok I was able to do some multi meter probing, not easy on the z24 trans plug but after talking to a friend who is a tech he told me to use sewing needles to push into the back side of the trans connector on the wires I needed probed to get the ohms readings of the trans, rather than remove the plug and try to probe the male pins inside the trans mating plug while using a mirror etc (impossible for me).
anyway he told me to probe pins A & E B & E and T & E and get readings for him + probe pin E with key on for voltage etc. i have not been able to get hold of him so heres the readings I got in case one of you can tell me what they mean?
pin E (key on) 12+ volts
pin E & A - 22 ohms
pin E & B - 23 ohms
pin T & E - 11 ohms

im not sure what pins is which solenoid but I think the ohms readings should be between 20-30 ohms on each which means T is bad? if so what is pin T on the connector?
I hope to check the trans fluid tomorrow, its damm hot out here so i didn't do it tonight, gonna be hotter tomorrow + the next day. I can't believe the fluid would be low as there are no leaks under the car at all, were would it go?
Old 07-14-2017, 04:29 PM

ok figured out that the "T" pin is the torque converter solenoid. I was pricing out the parts to replace the needed solenoid and decided if I was going to change one I may as well change all the solenoids. so I went on the autozone site and found the 2 shift solenoids 1-2 & 2-3 solenoids as well as the torque converter solenoid, a new trans filter and pan gasket, new fluid. what I cannot find on their site is a part number for the side pan gasket, doesn't seem to exist? do any of you know the part number (GM or autozone ) for it?
also is there any other solenoids besides the 3, I mentioned in the side cover that I could change while in there? I dont want to have to do this again, if this car lasts a few more years I will be happy.
Old 07-14-2017, 05:42 PM
Administrator

try part number 331 in this link

http://www.tonkinonlineparts.com/sho...category=22647