chevy forums   chevy forums

Go Back   Chevy Forums > Chevy Forums - Cars > Chevy Cavalier Forum

Notices

Chevy Cavalier Forum Discussions regarding the Chevrolet Cavalier

Chevy Forum: 2000 z24 shift solenoid problem-question

Old 10-12-2016, 05:53 PM

Default 2000 z24 shift solenoid problem-question

new to site and need some tech help. my daughter has a 2000 z24 with a 2.4 dohv and a 4 speed auto trans. with 78K on it, the car is cherry and was well taken care of we're the 2nd owners. this past weekend the car started bucking around 30 miles an hours so she drove it home under that speed with the check engine light on. I scanned it got a OBD code of P1860,P1753,P1758. I looked them up and got the info on what they were (trans solenoid etc). not wanting to just assume the worst with trans side pan removal & solenoid replacement I did many internet searches and got some info one of which was to check the trans plug for moisture/dirt/broken wires/trans fluid on the inside of the plug/voltage atthe plug etc. the plug is clean with no moisture/atf or dirt inside it, all wires are in tact and not broken, I do have 12 volts at the plug. another site said to check the ERL fuse as it powers the solenoids. the fuse was not blown but the bayonets were black? i replaced with new fuse then cleared the OBD codes. I restarted the car & test drove it, it drove fine and shifted fine? my question is if the shift solenoids were bad wouldn't they still be "bad" and cause the trans not to shift or is it possible the solenoids are sporadically working (going bad). I am at a loss as to why the car isn't running bad again and all I did was un-plug and check the trans solenoid power connector & change a fuse?

Old 10-12-2016, 06:11 PM
Administrator

Default Re: 2000 z24 shift solenoid problem-question

weird that the contacts on the fuse were black, was it the correct amperage fuse?
i would change the filter and fluid if you dont know the last time it was done, do NOT flush the transmission.
Old 10-12-2016, 06:38 PM

the trans fluid/filter was changed & trans flushed by the dealership that the car was bought & serviced at by the last (first) owner at 67,800 miles 1.5 years ago, the car has 78,300 on it now. the fuse for the ERL was 10 amp as per fuse panel, I replaced it with a new 10 amp since the contacts were black. i checked the old fuse with a meter and it was still good? what would black contacts mean?
I'd hate to disassemble the trans side case and swap out solenoids if that was not the problem. I have a schematic to check the shift solenoids with an OHM meter but I cant see inside the plug on the trans to probe the connector due to the angle and viability looking down. any idea how I can get a view into that area other then a mirror?
I'd also hate to take it to a trans shop for fear they tell me the "worst news" ,because they always do, just to make a buck and over charge me for something that I could fix if I took my time & diagnosed the problem correctly. this car is super nice and you can tell it was well kept but I dont want to throw a lot of cash at it as it's my daughters first car to get back and forth to school in, I didnt buy it as a long distance travel car etc.
Old 10-13-2016, 02:20 PM
Administrator

i can only assume black contacts are a result of high resistance between the fuse and the box, anything else should have blown the fuse.
Since it's running fine and I assume you checked the fluid level can you do nothing and see if it reoccurs?
Old 10-13-2016, 03:56 PM

I am going to check the fluid tonight and just monitor the problem for now, after reading your reply about the fuse I got curious and went out to the garage today and pulled the old fuse from the trash. it was a clear fuse and there was no amp number on it, after some investigating I found it was a 25amp (due to color) I put a 10 amp red in, that should have made the bells go off but I missed it. next I took the air cleaner flex line off the car to get a better look at the trans plug connector and found some one had spliced in a 10 amp inline fuse holder (with a 10 amp fuse) in the harness to the plug. they put the inline fuse link on the pink wire, which is power in for the solenoids I believe.
so for what ever reason, they decided to supply 25 amps to the ERL fuse slot and then knock the amps back down to 10 amps before the trans plug (to the solenoids)? Not sure why or what else that ERL fuse controls but putting more amps to circuits that call for less is normally a no no.
Old 10-16-2016, 10:54 AM

UPDATE:
put the car up on jacks stands and leveled it off to check the trans oil through the level port....nothing came out, so I lifted the ass end higher to see if any flowed out the hole and still nothing so I re-leveled the car and filled the trans. It ended up taking 25 oz (1.5 pints) till it came out the threads on the full port.
before I took it off the jacks I looked around for trans leaks and there was no evidence of a leak everything was dry? put it down on the ground and test drove it around town and it shifts fine, ran it up above 35mph where it previously wouldn't go, and it ran fine all the way up to 60 mph. So I assume it's fixed, no check engine light. I will have my daughter drive it around and monitor the situation. wonder were or why the trans fluid was low if there were no leaks, either the previous trans service (9k miles ago) wasn't done right and not filled all the way or ?

still trying to find out why the previous owner put a 25 amp in the ERL fuse spot, must have been trying to boost amps to something?
Old 10-16-2016, 06:08 PM
Administrator

did you check the fluid with the engine running after moving the shifter through all gears?
Old 10-16-2016, 07:49 PM

no, I did it with engine cold, none of the procedures for adding trans fluid I found on the net said to run the engine or go through the gears. do you think it will take more fluid after running it through the gears and warm?
Old 10-17-2016, 10:06 AM
Administrator

using google "checking transmission fluid cavalier", I found multiple sites that say warm and running. Yes i do believe it will take more fluid since the way you did it all of the fluid was sitting in the pan.
Old 10-17-2016, 06:57 PM

ok will do, not to keen on crawling under a running car on jack stands but I'll take all possible safety precautions.